Author Topic: Bowl problems  (Read 1966 times)

wsmith0896

Bowl problems
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »
I made 3 of Steve Goods's wobble bowls out of red oak for clients. Glued them up using Super Glue and 3 days later they fell apart with little or no effort. I have made the same bowls in the past and never had an issue.

What am I doing wrong? Has my glue gone bad or do I need to use a different glue?

My shop is a 2 car garage with no environmental controls except a box fan. Is that it?

Please help.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl problems
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:49 pm »
I have never trusted 'super glue' for gluing raw wood products...Just my opinion....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »
Super glue can be iffy in different humidity. So that might be your problem. Also, I don't usually don't like super gluing oak, the pores in the wood like to soak up the glue and not stick.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »
I have made a lot of vases, bowls, mugs and pitchers and never had a problem of them "falling apart". I have used all kinds of wood including red oak and all thicknesses of wood.
I always used Titebond II wood glue except for the mugs and pitchers that may have liquid put in them and then I use Titebond III for the water proof feature of that glue.
One thing that might help if you are making bowls is a "bowl press" for gluing. Please find a copy of "Wooden Bowls from the Scroll Saw" written by Carole Rothman. It not only shows you how to make the press, it has a BUNCH of designs and ideas for you to use. If your local library does not have a copy of this book, it can be purchased from Fox Chapel Publishing for $19.95 plus shipping. (anyway that is what I paid on 10/2/2009 for a total of $24.22.) and is worth twice that price.
Anyway have FUN and make some beautiful vases and bowls.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
I have made a few wobble bowls and used to just stack with some heavy weight and newve had a problem.

I now have a bowl press from the plan at Scrollmania! and will use that from now on.

http://www.scrollmania.com/Documents/MakingAUniversalPress.pdf

Don

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:58 pm »
If I where to use any type of super glue it would be a heavy viscosity CA. My favorite is Satellite City. But generally any bowls vases etc I glue up I use titebond 2 and a bowl press. I like the quick tack I get from titebond 2.

SMF

Teknoromi