Author Topic: Scroll saw light  (Read 4872 times)

bobh47955

Scroll saw light
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »
I am looking for a scroll saw light to attach to my Dewalt788. I thought maybe some of you have already used one and I was wanting to find out which are good and which are not worth the money.
Thanks.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Scroll saw light
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »
I have an old magnifying lamp. My eyes are not what they used to be and this works great. The bulb is fluorescent and provides even lighting. They now make them with LED lighting. These can be pricey but you can always find them at yard sales, flea markets, and even on Craigslist. If you don't need the magnifier I'm sure someone else will chime in soon. Good luck.

Dan
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »
Go to Lowes or Home Depot with your present bulb in hand.  Go to the lighting section I am willing to bet you will find a LED bulb that has the same base and is way brighter than that 6W bulb you have now.  Do not be fooled here.  If you got a 6W LED bulb it would be as bright as a 60W lightbulb, without the heat.  I have long replaced my light for my saw with a LED version.  Hope this helps.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »
DW,

Since most LED lights have a flicker to them (albeit quick), do you see any strobe like effect when running at different speeds? (i.e. like a timing light)

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 12:07:59 am »
Karl most of the "flicker" is caused by running the bulb below its normal voltage - such as a dimmer.  I have not noticed it when working on my saw.  The LED lights have come a LONG LONG way since I first installed mine.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

bobh47955

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »
I have an old magnifying lamp. My eyes are not what they used to be and this works great. The bulb is fluorescent and provides even lighting. They now make them with LED lighting. These can be pricey but you can always find them at yard sales, flea markets, and even on Craigslist. If you don't need the magnifier I'm sure someone else will chime in soon. Good luck.

Dan
I hear ya taking Dan. I need a magnifier too or get me some reading glasses. the bi-focals just don't work as they cause the neck to get sore leaning the head back so much. I will have to look into getting a magnifier light as soon as I can locate one on the internet and eBay will probably be the best bet for lower prices.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
Hey BobH, sounds like you need tri-focals.  Mine work great for scrolling and I don't have to lean the head back like with bi-focals.  You can get them with oversized middle section which really helps.  Or just have a pair of lenses put in a cheap frame that are just for the saw.  I have those for the piano, which is about the same distance away.  Just some thoughts to help.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:51 pm »
I have led magnifier light from rockler. I do not see any flicker and light is good. I also purchased it for the magnifier which is good but I find I prefer to see what I am cutting with out the magnification.
 link to light I have below

http://www.rockler.com/magnifying-led-work-light

Offline John M

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
Harbor freight has a magnifier light for $35. I had mine for about a year and it works just fine.

bobh47955

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »
I have led magnifier light from rockler. I do not see any flicker and light is good. I also purchased it for the magnifier which is good but I find I prefer to see what I am cutting with out the magnification.
 link to light I have below

http://www.rockler.com/magnifying-led-work-light
Oh wow! Those are pricey and that's on sale too.
I have a headlamp that I could use for light and maybe I better just get some reading glasses. I'm tired and retired and don't have that much to spare unless I can sell some scrolls to make some extra cash.
Thanks for the information.

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »
I found a flex shaft LED light with a large alligator clip at Bed Bath & Beyond for $10. Works great.
Jim

bobh47955

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »
I found a flex shaft LED light with a large alligator clip at Bed Bath & Beyond for $10. Works great.
Jim
Thanks Jim. That is more in the area of my allowance. I'll check it out the next time I run into Lafayette Indiana. That is the closest one to me.

SMF

Teknoromi