Author Topic: Table top keeps rusting in spots  (Read 2343 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Table top keeps rusting in spots
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:10:35 pm »
No matter what I do it keeps getting surface rust on two spots, its to the right and left of the blade at the edge of the table. I can sand it down real smooth get it off, use the paste wax have a good slick surface come back a few days later and the rust is back in the same spot, not anywhere else on the top but these two spots, the left side edge is the worse of it. I can take pictures to show.

When first bought the saw the machine marks were pretty rough, took some 60 sandpaper and sanded it some of them out, wondering if I need to take the top into a machine shop and get them to machine 100% smooth if that would help, any idea's, I live in central Oklahoma if that has anything to do with it, been a kinda humid summer this year, had lots of rain in the spring.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: Table top keeps rusting in spots
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »
Where do you have your saw set up ?  It may be moisture getting to it. Have you tried covering  your saw with a  towel or blanket to help keep it dry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:37:45 pm »
Its in my garage, haven't tried covering it yet, I though about doing a good clean sand job then putting several light coats of a laqur or sealer on it, but don't know if that would hamper the slickness for the wood to slide.

mlwmerk

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:06 am »
I had the same problem until I found that there were varmits living in the insulation above my saw.  I moved the saw, eliminated the fouled insulation and varmits and made sure I was not under any water pipes (condensation dripping) or leaks in the roof.

However, I am puzzled that the rust reappears after you waxing efforts.  Could be a flaw in the metal of the table top.  Might be something you have to live with.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:48 am »
I have an EX 21 and the table is rusting around the edges, especially the left front. I just figured it was from my arms resting there and the perspiration caused the rust. I have sanded and cleaned with wd40 and waxed with Johnsons Paste but it still continues to rust. It is in my shop, so no moisture should be the problem. I just figured once the finish wore off, the exposed iron would eventually erode.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:12:58 pm »
You might try cleaning with naval jelly to ensure you get all the rust.  Then paint it with Krylon  Rust Tough? Rust Preventative Enamel.  You can get it in white and flat black.  After it cures you should be able to wax over it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03076306000P?mv=rr
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:27:32 pm »
You might try cleaning with naval jelly to ensure you get all the rust.  Then paint it with Krylon  Rust Tough? Rust Preventative Enamel.  You can get it in white and flat black.  After it cures you should be able to wax over it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03076306000P?mv=rr

Will look into this, but funny thing is my table saw sits next to my scroll and doesn't rust, maybe its a different metal being the scroll is cast iron and rust easy.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:59:38 pm »
Is it Possible that the Type Scroll Saw is to blame.  I have a Hegner which is mounted in my Shop which
is no where close to being Great.  Never had this problem in MANY YEARS.  Just my 2 cents....  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »
It could be Danny, I went to it today after using it just the other day and it had rust in that same spot took a rag wiped it off then put a light coating of wax did fine. May just need to wax before and after I use it.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:18:32 am »
If wax doesn't keep it from rusting, try Boeshield T-9.  It's a bit expensive, but really puts down a protective layer.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi