Author Topic: Craftsman or olsan blades  (Read 3505 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Craftsman or olsan blades
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:08 pm »
I was looking at the sears site at there scroll blades, don't know what the store will have in stock, but they have reverse and others, a dozen are about the same as lowes, but a better selection. Does anybody have any idea how good these are? I think they also carry olsen are these good too? For me its about the only way I can get blades is in the big stores as most times all I have is cash on me and can't order online. I want to go look at sears to see what blades they have and the thickness of them, I use the ones at lowes bosch blades and they are hit and miss, can get a good set, but then turn around and get a set that won't last but a few cuts. I know the FD blades are good but don't have a option to order them unless I send cash first to mike to place the order then have to wait for it to be proccessed and sent back.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsman or olsan blades
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:03:22 pm »
My opinion is to do what ever you need to to get your blades from Mikes Workshop
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:30:43 pm »
when i order online i have one of those prepaid visa cards that you have to go to the post office to put the money on them before you can use it.works great for me if i wants to order something $50 just go to the post office put the $50 on it and away i go. by far i think the FD blades are the best been using for quite awhile and wouldn't change for nothing else.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »
Olson does make great blades but you may pay more for them at Sears. You can order them online. I like Olson but still buy FD blades because of the price and service.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »
I agree with billy figure out a way to get fd blades it makes scrolling much more enjoyable  with quality blades

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:44:03 am »
Any time you go into a retail store to buy blades you are going to find mostly substandard blades that you will pay a premium price for.  They are all labeled by store or brand but are not manufactured by them (ie. Ryobi, bosch, craftsman, etc).  You will pay anywhere from $6.00 to $15.00 per dozen and they are all substandard blades.  Good blades - no excellent blades are available from $2.50 to $4 or $5 per dozen.  It may be a little inconvenient to get them, but it is well worth the wait.  I use both Olson and Flying Dutchman.  Different blades feel right to different people and different applications.  I have always bought my Olson from Seyco and my Flying Dutchman blades from Mikes workshop.  They both provide unsurpassed service.  I don't think it has ever taken more than 3 days to get my blades.

I urge anyone who is still buying blades at the hardware store to order these blades once and see the difference in your cuttings.  You will be amazed at the difference.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:13 am »
Couple of ideas:   Send a message to Mike (Mikes Workshop), email him, get his phone number, send it here, whatever, and see if he has a way he can work with you.

Second:  Do the same with Wooden Teddy Bear - go to their site, get the phone number and call them - they also carry the Flying Dutchman blades.

Getting quality blades is worth the wait and effort.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:14:24 am »
I agree with Newfie, a lot of stores have those prepaid Visa cards including Walmart.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
Try Mike, he is very accommodating. I am sure he will work with you. By going to Sears and others you will pay way to much. I know, I have been there.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
Well I bought a 2 different types of craftsman blades I got a reverse tooth which I love it leaves a nice clean cut no sanding its a 2R 20tpi with a 14tpi reverse, width .029 thickness .012 its just a tad more than the ones I get at lowes, then got a 20tpi skip same width and thickness as the reverse, it would be good to stack cut with or hard thick wood. I will have a way Friday to order some blades from Mike and I know one is going to be the reverse maybe even try the ultra reverse I love having that smooth back and no sanding more so in small areas.

I did some test cuts with these and they both did well, reverse did the best skip leaves some fuzzy pending on grain direction, they are 3.99 a dozen in a pinch the would be able to finish a project. I did notice right out the first reverse blade  I pulled out the reverse teeth were not pointed, so getting a defect blade is there, but in a pinch they would work. I am gonna do my hardest to get so FD blades form Mike, and each time I can order some get a stock built up.

Oh did I already say I love the reverse tooth!

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »
I was looking at the sears site at there scroll blades, don't know what the store will have in stock, but they have reverse and others, a dozen are about the same as lowes, but a better selection. Does anybody have any idea how good these are? I think they also carry olsen are these good too? For me its about the only way I can get blades is in the big stores as most times all I have is cash on me and can't order online. I want to go look at sears to see what blades they have and the thickness of them, I use the ones at lowes bosch blades and they are hit and miss, can get a good set, but then turn around and get a set that won't last but a few cuts. I know the FD blades are good but don't have a option to order them unless I send cash first to mike to place the order then have to wait for it to be proccessed and sent back.

Get a pre-paid credit card and order them online.
FD-blades are good...

You can also get blades from menards as well.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:00:24 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »
Got a order put in from Mike will be in the mail and on its way.

UHMNL

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »
They go in the mail on Monday. If the post office has no trouble you could have them on Wednesday.
FD Mike

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:07:20 pm »
Sweet excited to give the them a run, am going to shoot for some better wood too, a coworker's dad does home building and has some scrap wood he going to get rid of, has some oak and walnut and who knows what else they are gonna see if will give it to me, then if can find somebody that can resaw I will be set.

SMF

Teknoromi