Author Topic: Want to learn how to make a pattern  (Read 2787 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Want to learn how to make a pattern
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:44 pm »
I have a picture I want to turn into a patten which I think is funny but don't know if its copyrighted or not, its the gieco camel that ask what day is it. I think its the funniest thing and want to cut it out, but have no clue how to make a pattern out a picture using gimp or inkscape. Is it pretty easy or is there alot of hours to sit at the pc to mess with it? If it takes along time on the pc I am already done I don't like to sit at the pc for long periods, I get bored easy on it.

Also how do I know a pic or image is copyrighted?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Want to learn how to make a pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »
I guarantee you if it is for Geico it is copyright...you can get away with making something for yourself or a friend but DO NOT advertise or offer anything with it for sale!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:02 pm »
I right the image then properties, then details and under copyright its blank, it was a inmage from facebook that was posted so I saved it. I wouldn't sale it, this would be a one time deal for me unless a friend wanted one then it would be a give away, I just want to be hung up in a copyright lawsuit over a simple picture I wanted to cut out into a pattern.

All it is the camel then has the woot woot, and the question guess what day it is.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »
The use of individual images is allowed under Fair Use laws. You cannot make a profit from someone else's efforts, and you cannot use a trademark in a way that would cause damage to the owner of the (TM). If you're not trying to sell insurance or other advertising, then cutting the camel image won't matter.

For a simple image with one subject (a photo of one person, animal, or vehicle) it usually takes me less than 30 minutes to render the pattern using GIMP and Inkscape, but it is not just pushing a few buttons. The mechanical steps up to the photocopy filter in GIMP are pretty direct, but then you have some work to do in Inkscape, and quite a bit of work once you come back to GIMP to fix floaters and risky peninsulas.

If you have not done it before it probably will take over an hour, but it gets faster as you build some skills.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:37 pm »
Is there a tutorial that shows how to do pattern making like these are made using gimp and ink, or is it something that is picked up on your own, I would like to start learning how as to make my own when I want them. I have a good pic of a lighthouse but when I checked it the copyright was microsoft so thats one a no go. If am allowed I can post the pic I want as a pattern and if anybody can tell me if it can be made into one, I would really like it, its just one of those funny's that good to have IMO.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:57:32 am »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:59:12 am »
Take a look at this tutorial:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/17249.htm

Thanks will read more if tonight after work and give it a shot, looks like some good info.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »
Scroll saw village has an awesome pattern making tutorial.
http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/

I don't know if there is anything special about the camel in the GIECO commercial. You could get a pattern of a generic camel and the words "what day is it?" I am not an expert but I would tend to think you can't copyright all camels, humpday and the question What day is it?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »
Well like I said when I checked the details of the image there is no copyright, like another image I have saved in the details it says its copyright is microsoft. The camel pic I have was saved from facebook post, I have another I saved and its the same deal no copyright is on it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
Take a look at this tutorial:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/17249.htm

I am trying this and already getting mad its not working, got to steps 6, 7, 8 and its not making sense I can't pick my color don't know what they mean by fuzzy brush but calls it paint brush. I am already wanting to give up, am I doing something wrong, the gimp I have is gimp2.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:23 pm »
Some of those instructions are for an older version of Gimp.
Check your email.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 12:55:20 am »
Well getting closer I got part of it figured out and got changes made, but still haveing issues with the brush, I can make the color black or white, but when I do my brush does not do one pixel block at a time, it looks like a + sign, the center will go the color I want with a few clicks but around the center it's shades lighter. If any of that makes sense, I did a screen shot recording I can email to those that want to see if it worked. Or is this what its suppose to do?

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26:47 am »
I use the pencil rather than the brush. The single pixel (smallest size) setting seems to put some black mixed with gray, but the larger sizes all seem to do more like a solid color. I rarely use the smallest setting, and never for adding bridges.

If it feels like you need the smallest brush or pencil, your image may be too small. In GIMP Try [Image]=>Scale Image to change the size to something like you would want to cut - about 6" wide or so. You can also do that in Inkscape with the size boxes across the top of the window (lock the aspect ratio first). Once the image is bigger, you might find that the larger brush or pencil is the right size and won't inject those gray pixels.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »
I use the pencil rather than the brush. The single pixel (smallest size) setting seems to put some black mixed with gray, but the larger sizes all seem to do more like a solid color. I rarely use the smallest setting, and never for adding bridges.

YES! Mucho better, I can now just click and make a solid line rather the multi clicks or mov back and forth to get the lines. In my best Ace Ventura voice "alrighty then"! I am even closer to makeing a pattern.

SMF

Teknoromi