Author Topic: Got me a new to me table saw!  (Read 1394 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Got me a new to me table saw!
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »
I Have been searching for a cheap table saw one that is better then the setup I have which is a circular saw upside down on a folding saw, yes they sold this years ago. It was small got the job done but wanted something bigger. Well after searching I found out that the cheap one like HF are finicky and for newbies on table saw can be frustrating, its best to get the name brands, even though some new name brands don't have the standard miter lost of 3/4 inch.

So couple days ago I found one on craigslist, its a 10 inch craftsman, has a stand. This is a older model and is very heavy, cast top, even has the motor hanging off the back and has the standard miter slot, turned it on it worked told the guy I will take it. Cost 55 buck! I am thrilled, issue it was in a basement aaagggghhh, had to lug it up the stairs. But got it home.

Been out there most the evening tweaking it, first order was to get out the air an dblow all the dust out of it, lubed the gears, had to align the pulleys for the belt, adjusted the belt, wire wheeled the all the dust and surface rust off the top. Spent a good 3 hours tuning it up, cleaning it up. Still got couple things I want to do put wheels on it so I can move it the heavy thing, and make a zero clearance throat plate.

Will get some pics or try to do a video of my area, if I can figure out how to show everything I have. I am still thrilled I may not sleep tonight, now just need a small bench top drill press to drill my holes, using a hand drill hurts the arms after about 30 holes.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Got me a new to me table saw!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »
I still have one of those old folding tables, you could attach a circular saw or a router under it. I have my router table sitting on top of it now. Good luck with your new toy....be careful.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:06 am »
Oh I will be careful looked up the model number and found this was made in 11-1974. Looking up parts don't think can get parts for it anymore.

mlwmerk

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:50 am »
Never underestimate the Sears Parts inventory. 

If you search Sears Parts, Like I did, there is a section where you can send a message and someone will respond.  You can probably get a parts/instruction book from them. 

Then if there are any parts that you want to order use the same message facility to order parts. 

I used the site for two of my older Craftsman saws and was successful in ordering wear parts, etc.  Good Luck

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »
Got more work done on my table saw, got the top cleaned up and sanded and smoothed down. Got my zero clearance throat plate done, got some wheels on it to move the heavy thing around. I am really loving my table saw glad I found it, makes it easier to cut stuff thats for sure.

I also did some hunting, Walmart don't carry it, so went to Lowes and found it, SC Johnson paste wax, 5 bucks for a little can of it. I got home and put some on the scroll saw, and HOLY COW!!! Its like slideing on ice, I put some on the table saw top, as well as the fence, miter gauge rail, and the slots in the saw top. What a difference it makes, why on earth didn't do this from the start when I read about it on here. I have read guys will put it on there scroll saw blades to help, I wonder if it work on the table saw blade to help with wood going through.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:18 am »
Got more work done on my table saw, got the top cleaned up and sanded and smoothed down. Got my zero clearance throat plate done, got some wheels on it to move the heavy thing around. I am really loving my table saw glad I found it, makes it easier to cut stuff thats for sure.

I also did some hunting, Walmart don't carry it, so went to Lowes and found it, SC Johnson paste wax, 5 bucks for a little can of it. I got home and put some on the scroll saw, and HOLY COW!!! Its like slideing on ice, I put some on the table saw top, as well as the fence, miter gauge rail, and the slots in the saw top. What a difference it makes, why on earth didn't do this from the start when I read about it on here. I have read guys will put it on there scroll saw blades to help, I wonder if it work on the table saw blade to help with wood going through.

Careful about using TOO MUCH wax. Sometimes you don't want things to be too slick.  :o The miter gauge comes to mind. I've even glued sandpaper to the face of mine from time to time to keep the work piece from sliding side to side while cross cutting lumber.  ;) I do like a nice slick table though, especially in the miter slots for smooth movement when using the sled.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi