Author Topic: Indian Portrait  (Read 951 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
Indian Portrait
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:36:23 pm »
Steve,
You recently posted a scroll saw project of an Indian Head with feather bonnet. Then a follower of this blog registered a objection and you removed it. Now I would like to give my unrequested opinion on this subject. I am an eighty three year old Pollack, second generation American. Not all that educated, but still thinking. Back in 1890 (or so) an artist by the name of Henry Francois Farny painted many pictures of the American Indian. He has recently become quite in vogue. One of his pictures was of a Indian wearing a headdress bonnet of feathers. I don't know if you used that painting to design your pattern, but, it looks real close. Now ask any young boy what an Indian of the old west would look like and he will inevitably describe the feathered bonnet. Maybe add a horse with no saddle, and a bow and arrow. Factual, maybe, but not derogatory. Think about a Chinese woman wearing a kimono or an Hawaiian wearing a hula skirt or any other stereotype.  If you were making fun of them, I would agree that it is wrong.
All I am saying is that sometimes being politically correct is really dumb, you should not, and can not, make everyone happy.
Pease do not take offense, because none was intended.
Walter Fink

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: Indian Portrait
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:55:38 am »
Walter, I appreciated your thoughts and comments to Steve in reference to his Indian Head pattern and response from RD.  As i told Steve, offline, I felt like RD's comments were educational and thought provoking.  I liked your thoughts on expectations for all of us to act and speak in a politically correct manner.  Actually I am convinced that the term "politically correct" is illogical and is really nothing but bias.  You know, God gave us the Ten Commandments, our forefathers gave us the Constitution / Bill of Rights and my parents taught me right and wrong.  None of the above - told me I should strive to be politically correct.  The concept of being Politically Correct does not have much of a sense of the freedom of a Republic / Democracy.

Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas.......now, back to my scrolling.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
Re: Indian Portrait
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:03:29 pm »
I too appreciated RD's comments - meaningful and eloquent . . .   from a historical point of view.  However, I agree with both comments above.  Again, with no offense meant towards anyone, 'Politically Correct' is baloney!  Certainly, dignity and respect should always prevail but, whatever has become of 'freedom of speech' in America.

I suspect that anyone can find a reason to be offended on any given day but, it's about time we all sucked it up a little and started remembering the old adage that "Sticks and stones may break my bones but, names will never hurt me."

SMF

Teknoromi