Author Topic: need some advice on spiral blades  (Read 1606 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
need some advice on spiral blades
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
I have a Hawk 220 and I am trying to learn how to use spiral blades. I have FD Spiral Reverse #1 and 2/0.  The problem I am having is getting the blade to stay connected to upper blade holder. The twist in the end of blade is hard to get the clamp to tighten down on. It pops out and bends the blade pretty bad. If anyone has some tips or advice I would sure appreciate it.
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: need some advice on spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:08:59 pm »
You might want to try the FD flat end spiral.  You can see at https://mikesworkshop.com/collections/blades
Regards >> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:40:14 pm »
You use a hammer to tap the end flat or very carefully use pliers and twist it back flat but there is a risk of it breaking doing it this way.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:45 am »
I routinely use FD flat-end blades on my Hawk 220 and don't have any problem holding them.  I feed from the bottom and once the blade is in the bottom holder sometimes it takes just a very slight finger-twist of the blade to make sure it lines up perfectly for the upper holder.  I do find that it takes a very positive twist on the tightening screw (I wish it were a round knob) to make sure it doesn't slip out.  I'm currently using some Plain End Sharktooth BLDFF20 blades that are working very well with no problems.

Whenever I do have a problem with blades slipping out of the upper holder, I find that a couple of strokes on the end of the holding screw on very find sandpaper solves the problem. 

Dennis

SMF

Teknoromi