Author Topic: Where to cut first  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
Where to cut first
« on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:04 am »
Curious whether everyone starts cutting the fret work and leaves the outside perimeter cut to the end, or visa versa?  Do you think it matters? Why?

This starter saw has a fixed upper arm, really limits things. The piece I am trying now is larger than anything I have done to date, and after fighting it yesterday it dawned on me (last night) that I ought to trim the waste off and then make the final outside cut later.  Then I started wondering why not just cut the perimeter now.

Jim

Offline busco

• View Profile
Re: Where to cut first
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:34 am »
Jim, I was taught to cut the outside last in order to give the piece a little extra strength.  But if you have a lot of extra wood outside your pattern I don't see what it would hurt to cut a little bit of it away.   I have done patterns where it was recommended to cut the outside first.
Bill

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:31:10 am »
I agree with busco. Typically you should start in with the inside cuts. There are always exceptions, but most of the time that is the wisest choice. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:07:08 am »
Yup, I agree with the other comments...save the outside for last is the general rule. Have you considered using spiral blades? They almost double the size of the piece you can cut with a flat blade. It does take a little getting use to. I generally use flat blades but if I'm cutting a larger piece and if I don't have room because of the depth of my saw I will switch to a spiral blade for the last few inside cuts.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:44:39 am »
Thanks y'all, that is pretty much what I have been doing, inside to outside.

I tried a spiral blade, Looking back on it, that was funny, the slightest twitch and it was all over. Maybe after a while when I get better and more comfortable with things I will revisit them.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »
Jim, take scraps of wood and practice cutting stars or some simple shape with spirals blades. It really isn't too difficult, just takes practice.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:42 am »
Dan I will keep that in mind for when I revisit them, thanks

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:15 am »
I try to always cut from the middle to the outside,especially when stack cutting, to have more support. I also check my patterns for "peninsula" or "island" type cuts where there is very little support and cut them first so there is support around them when cutting.

Offline Aggrajag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:52:24 am »
1) If the wood is too large I always trim that down quickly first.
2) If there isn't much internal fine detail I cut the entire perimeter, otherwise I do the internal fine detail first.

That's easier to think than it is to explain!

SMF

Teknoromi