Author Topic: Looking to buy a new scroll saw  (Read 1882 times)

mbrown102459

Looking to buy a new scroll saw
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:26:29 pm »
Hi, I am new. I have an old Craftsman saw and I am looking to upgrade. Rockler has the 20" Dewalt with stand light on sale for $499. All of the review show Dewalt as a above average saw for the money. I am interested in anyone's opinion.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy a new scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »
Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. Jump in and get your feet dusty. I would defiantly recommend the Dewalt DW-788 and that is a good price with the stand & light. You won't be disappointed.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:01:19 am »
I agree with Russ, I have purchased several lower grade saws because of budgeting reasons but finally purchased the Dewalt and have not looked back. It is a very good quality saw

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:12:54 am »
Howdy, & welcome to the forum😊 personally, not being a fan of anything DeWalt, were I you, I'd check out Craigs List in your area, & eBay too. You can find good deals on machines with very little use. Take a look at the Hawk line. They are a nice, quiet reliable saw, & well worth the money. I recently picked up a 20" VS on eBay for $350. The saw sold for $1200 new. If you're going to spend the money, buy the best you can afford, & you are able to get parts for & work on. Hawk saws you can.😉 Their customer service is excellent, also. Just my .02. Enjoy your day.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:03 am »
Hi! Glad you've joined us.  As for buying a DeWalt, I've purchased 5 and love them.  Four of mine are Type 1's, made in Canada and I was really hesitant to get another now that they are made in Taiwan...I'd heard bad things about them but they seem to have solved the problem.  I've had the new one for 2 weeks now and I put a lot of hours on my saws.  No problems yet, so very happy. 

Just a note as to why I've had to buy 5...it's not that they break and I need a new one.  One was a damaged saw from Grizzly's annual tent sale which I had fixed and sold for a nice profit.  Another went to my son, and I'm currently using 3, one's in the garage, one in the scroll shop and the last is in the big shop.
Nancy from Washington state.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:28 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  When this forum started, Dewalt was by far the saw of choice.  I had an EX21.  Many of the old Dewalt users have upgraded to the EX series.  That being said, you will not be disappointed in the Dewalt.  It is a huge upgrade from the Craftsman.

SMF

Teknoromi