Author Topic: dust mask?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
dust mask?
« on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
for those of you that use dust masks what brands do you use? i don't really think those paper ones at the hardware store work all that great, and they really don't fit my grandson. steve did a review on the vog mask, but after reading other reviews people say they are difficult to breathe through.
                thanks again everyone, gramps

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: dust mask?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
Hey gramps, what works for some don't work for others. You best bet is to try some. If they don't work, just keep trying. I think there are enough options out there that you will eventually find one that works for you. Just like scroll saw blades, everyone is looking for something a little different.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:51:43 pm »
I use a half face mask by 3M with the 2 cartridges and really like it, best one I have tried so far, does not fog my glasses. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »
I only really use one when I sand or resaw on the bandsaw. I tell you what, with out dust collection on the bandsaw, resawing throws out a lot of sawdust and I was forced to use my mask. I just use the little doctor looking one you find in hardware store. I am not much for having all the stuff on my face like masks and glasses. I know it is safe, but being comfortable while working to me makes it more enjoyable than battling a mask that hurts my nose or something.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:16 pm »
Dustin, you have your whole life ahead of you. I'd hate to see your lungs get clogged with sawdust before you hit 30. As with most safety gear, it takes a little getting use to but I find it does not hamper my cutting. Please wear a mask. The dust from the scroll saw is much finer than a band saw or table saw and hangs in the air longer.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Becky

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
I use a Dust Bee Gone mask.  It is the only one I have tried to date that doesn't make me fog my glasses (haven't tried the 3M one).  I've had it for a while now but I didn't really use it much unless I was sanding.

Then I took a week of vacation a month or so ago.  My goal was to spend the time out in the shop and get good and ready for Christmas and the winter birthdays because I can't get out in the shop once the temps get too cold.  Now, I've known for a long time that working in the shop dries out my hands like crazy.  It never even crossed my mind that it could be drying out other things.  I spent Monday in the shop as planned.  Tuesday morning, I work up way too early and was going to go back to sleep for another hour or so but realized my sinuses seemed really full.  So I grabbed a tissue, blew my nose and ended up with two hands full of blood.  Anyway, to shorten this, I ended up at the urgent care in the early afternoon because I couldn't get it to really stop.  If you haven't ever had your nose cauterized, consider yourself lucky.  Even with that though, it continued to bleed until I ended up in the emergency room where they packed it up.  Another not very pleasant experience.  Even then the blood was trickling out of both nostrils and wanting to go down my throat.  Had to leave the packing in for another 24 hours during which time I couldn't even lie down.  After that, I wasn't supposed to bend at the waist or lift anything heavy for "several days."  Having just been through all that, I was following instructions.  Aside from what I got done on Monday, the rest of the week was a complete loss, scrolling-wise.

Why did it happen?  The doctor said it was probably because the inside of my nose got too dry.  In hindsight, it was obvious.  When I touch it the wood and sawdust, my hands get dry.  If I breathe it, in only makes sense that my nose would dry out too.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had a nosebleed before this one and I have never had one as relentless as this one.  I'm using my mask all the time now.  I'm still working on remembering it and getting used to it but I don't resent the inconvenience.  Not after that experience.  I'm also taking other steps to keep my nose moist - the saline spray and, on woodworking days I also put some petroleum jelly on a q-tip and swab myself.  Maybe I am overly paranoid after the experience but I sure don't want to walk down that road again.

mlwmerk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:48:35 am »
I also use the dust masks that cover the nose and mouth and have two filter cartridges on them.  I use it every time I turn on any woodworking machine as well as painting/staining operations.  The vapors from the paint are just as irritating as the sawdust.

I too have experienced the nose bleed problem that Becky so graphically describes.  I use a product called "Ayr Nasal Gel".  It comes in a gel form and I use a "Q tip" to coat the inside of each of my nostrils liberally.  I do the nose coating thing every day, at least twice a day and have not had a nose bleed incident in a long time.  It is good stuff to use in the shop, traveling by airplane or anywhere the air is dry. 

Secondly, after the doctor treated me successfully for the nose bleeds he gave me two pieces of advice.  One: Stop picking your nose!  Second:  don't blow you nose vigorously!

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »
I use vogmask and I got a free one from them and I got the Classic Microfiber Vogmask (8bit)
works great www.vogmask.com

Steve good did a video on them....
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi