Author Topic: Cutting Padauk  (Read 3288 times)

Offline golfman

• View Profile
Cutting Padauk
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »
I just got a nice piece of half inch Padauk any one have tips on cutting this wood like what blade would you use and the best way to finish.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Cutting Padauk
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:20 pm »
Padauk is a very dense wood.  As far as blade size, it would depend on how detailed the design you are cutting is.  I always try to use the smallest blade possible that will get the job done.  The least amount of friction the better and you will get less friction with a smaller blade.  However, it needs to be large enough so you can control it through the wood. I like the Olson Mach blades and I think a #3 would do fine with it.  I would be sure to use clear packaging tape over the entire surface no matter what blade you are using to help prevent burn marks. It really works!

As far as finish goes, because of the density of the wood, whatever finish you use will tend to sit on top of it more than penetrate it.  This means that satin finishes will look glossier than usual and so on.  Again, it is personal preference.  I believe Padauk is an oilier type of wood (correct me if I am wrong  please!) and I like spray shellac over oil finishes because poly over oil will tend to allow the oil to bleed through.  Shellac is great if it is a piece that is more decorative than one that will be handled a lot. It is not the most durable finish for daily use, but offers enough protection for pieces that are decorative (intricate plaques, etc) and gives a warm, satiny finish, which also hides a lot of flaws in both cutting and sanding. 

Just my thoughts. . . .:)

Let us know how you do!

Sheila 
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »
golfman, Sheila above has steered you right. The clear packing tape on top of the pattern will defiantly help with burning, but apply to the bottom too! I go ahead and apply a blank sheet of paper on the bottom, then the tape. The paper will allow you to remove the tape easier with a little heat from a heat gun or hair blower, or sprayed with mineral spirits.
I also agree with Sheila on using the smallest blade that will do the job. I have never used the Olsen Mach blades, but I do use Olsen skip tooth blades. I would us a #2 or a #5. I also use Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades. For these, I would use a #1, 3 or #5 depending on complexity of the pattern. Good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
Padauk is my son's favorite wood (to be honest he loves the color orange and anything that is orange is his favorite, but he was pretty adorable as a 3 year old walking through Rockler looking for Padauk)

Sheila and Dan gave great advise, the only thing I will add is that you really want to wear a mask when cutting or sanding Padauk. The redish orange color will give you really strange colored snot if you don't.

cherie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »
Yes, be very careful when working with Paduk.  Ask someone who has broke out from turning pens with it.  My face and arms were a mess. 

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »
Ditto on what has been said.  I made a tongue drum for my grandkids a couple of years ago and used 3/4 Padauk as the sound board.  I used a #5 FD Reverse blade and clear packing tape over the pattern.  I used Danish Oil (Natural) and after it dried, spray lacquer and it finished really pretty.  It also has a really cool tone when you drum on it.

Cutting and sanding Padauk leaves a really fine orange-red dust that gets on everything.  I just throw my sandpaper away afterward it is a real mess.  Good ventilation and/or a mask is a must. Padauk is an exotic wood that is really striking when you finish.

Your piece is 1/2 inch so I wouldn't use anything larger than a #3 Reverse blade.  Good luck.

Barry

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »
I love cutting Padauk. There is a nice smell to the wood when it cuts and the dust from it reminds me of cheese dust from some kind of chips. I used padauk in my intarsia lighthouse project. Didnt seem to have trouble cutting it. I think all the advice mentioned above is good for getting the job done.

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:14 am »
Thank you all for being so helpful now I can cut this wood with confidence. I will wear a mask,cover with packing tape, use the FD#3 and finish with Danish oil & Lacquer. Anyone would be foolish not to follow the tips from this group of experts.

SMF

Teknoromi