Author Topic: How to get pattern on wood....  (Read 2984 times)

tundraguy

How to get pattern on wood....
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:55 pm »
Hello all, what is the best way to get the pattern that you want on the wood ??? ..?? i have taken 2.5 hrs  :o cutting it out of thicker paper and then trace it on....is there a much better way to do this..???
Thanks...
Jim...

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: How to get pattern on wood....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:51 pm »
Yes there is a better way.  Either print out your pattern on the computer and then use spray adhesive to adhere the pattern to the wood, or print out the pattern on paper with a self adhesive backing and apply that to the wood.  I prefer the latter, but it is a bit more expensive.  Either way, it is a good idea to use clear packing tape or painter's tape to help lubricate the blade as it cuts.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »
Jim, many people print the pattern on regular paper.  First the wood is sanded well, then blue painter's tape is stuck to the wood.  The back of the pattern is sprayed with something like 3M #77 spray glue and then it is placed onto the blue tape.  On top of all this is placed a layer of clear packing tape which lubricates the blade and reduces burning of the wood.

When you have finished cutting, the blue tape peels off quite easily.

That's the condensed version.  If you do a search in the forum for adhering patterns, attaching patterns, etc., you will see there are a number of ways to get the pattern onto the work piece.  I generally use this method but for smaller patterns I'm starting to use a glue stick instead of the spray glue.

Best of luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »
Jim as it right but don't use spray glue i use self stick labels and as for the clear packing tape i place it between the painters tape and pattern it still lubricates the blade but you won't get the glare from the lights that way
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:47:44 pm by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »
I've found there is a difference in painters tape.   I prefer the ''delicate''  or 

''antique'' type.  It's even easier to remove. 
MOONIE

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »
Go back to the home page of this (Steve's) blog.  If you click on the Scroll Saw School picture it will take you to some great how-to videos.  #0003 is on applying patterns.  They are all really good and I recommend watching all of them.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi