Author Topic: GIMP or INKSCAPE?  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
GIMP or INKSCAPE?
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:18:10 pm »
I have downloaded both Gimp and Inkscape to my computer. I have watched a few tutorials on Youtube on both programs. Now, I am still playing with both programs to determine which is the best for scroll patterns. Can I get some feedback on those of you who use either or both. Which is better for creating patterns?
Thank ya'll in advance,

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: GIMP or INKSCAPE?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »
i believe most pattern makers that use them will tell you that they uuse both of them together for different reasons.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »
The only thing I have done so  far is  to change the size of a pattern and I do it with Inkscape.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »
Are these freeware programs or are they paid for programs? If they cost how much would it cost me to download them?

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
Both freeware.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:34:04 pm »
Thanks, I dont even know why I asked. I am good at research and have already seen that they are both freeware. I also found this tutorial site: http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/suggest-a-tutorial/tutorial-list/  also this one for gimp: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials    I will do more research on both. I  have been wanting to find something I could use besides paint (yes, I actually use paint) to make patterns. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:39:17 pm by mrtcurtis »

Mainewoods

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »
Tony, I've used both Inkscape and GIMP as well as Photoshop Elements for making patterns.  Each one has its merits.  The main difference between Inkscape and GIMP is that the former is a vector based graphics program, where the latter is a pixel based program.  Pixel based programs are generally easier to work with, because they are simply based on individual picture elements, or dots on your screen.  i.e. a dot is either colored or not, and by controlling which dots are used, you make a picture.  With a vector base program, your picture is made up of paths and nodes.  A line is created by a path from one node to another.  By moving the nodes, you can change the shape of the path, or line.  One major benefit of using a vector based program is that no matter how much you enlarge a picture, it remains clear because the paths and nodes haven't changed.  With a pixel based program, the more you enlarge it, the more pixelated (grainy) it becomes.  Just like when you zoom way in on a digital picture. 

I don't have a great deal of experience using those two programs, but I can tell you that Inkscape has a steeper learning curve than GIMP, especially if you're already used to using a pixel based program like Photoshop. 

Sorry for rambling on about this, but I wanted to help you understand the difference.  Please take into account the fact that my descriptions are very basic and there are many other differences between these programs. 

Hope this helps!

Glen

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »
There are two basic types of graphics out there. There are vector based graphics created by programs like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Inkscape. Then there are bitmap or raster graphics like those created by Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photopaint and GIMP.

Vector based graphics are mathematical representation of an image. Vectors are composed of nodes which define the space in relation to other nodes to create shapes, lines and curves. These complex shapes are then layered upon each other in order to define an image. The advantage of vector graphics is the file size tends to be much smaller. You may enlarge or shrink down a vector graphic without losing quality because the nodes stay within the same relative position to one another. The mathematical formulas recalculate the image based on node information, so there is no information that is lost (or gained) during resizing.

Bitmaps are a rectangular grid of pixels (blocks of color) used to define a picture. The more pixels that are used in an image, the more information the image contains. This is called resolution. The higher the resolution is, the more detail you can pull from an image. You can enlarge a low resolution graphic. But since a low resolution only has so much information (number of pixels), when you enlarge it, it only spreads that information over a larger area. You do not gain additional detail by enlarging a low resolution graphic.

So why would we want to work with bitmaps? Most graphics you find on the internet, all digital photographs from cameras or scanned pictures, and most any other form of digital graphics are bitmaps. Even vector graphics eventually become bitmap images. Bitmap images are a convenient way to distribute images through digital mediums.

As scroll saw pattern makers, we often work with photographs. Since photographs are bitmap based graphics, it only makes sense to work in a bitmap graphics program. Bitmaps have the advantage of being modified easily, whereas vector graphics rely on complicated layering techniques and precise positioning of nodes. Using a program like GIMP allows us to change individual pixels with use of various tools. You can easily use a paintbrush to change the color of pixels, or use the eraser tool to remove all pixel color information.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:28:33 pm »
Thank all of ya'll for yuour input and advice, especially Russ and Glen for explaining the basics of each. I watched some tutorials on Scroll Saw Village today on GIMP and Inkscape and wow, see I have a lot to learn! But, I look forward to the challenge of learning how to use these programs.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 05:17:52 am »

There are other Inkscape tutorials that are specific to scrollsaw pattern making at

http://www.free4allscrollsawpatterns.com/free4all/index.php?board=24.0

and

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/

It takes time but they are all really good.

Steve has a series here on Corel.  I don't have Corel but just watching gives you ideas that you can translate into Inkscape.

Have fun.

don

SMF

Teknoromi