Author Topic: What are the top picks to replace Internet Exploder.  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
What are the top picks to replace Internet Exploder.
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
I'm a bit suspicious of IE8 which was on the PC when I got it home, the initial crash was caused by downloading it in the first place. So I'm thinking a different browser is needed.

I'd like your suggestions for a replacement, and reasons for what you recommend please.
Something trouble free and easy to use is what I'm looking for.
Thanks,

Frustrated and PO'd,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: What are the top picks to replace Internet Exploder.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »
I have IE9 on my laptop and I really like it.   There were a few bugs initially with some web sites but those seemed to have disappeared.

I also have Google Chrome loaded which is just okay. 

They seem to be equally fast but I prefer the way IE looks after the favorites bar and the favorites.  I don't like Chrome in the way it handles new tabs.

I think there is a lot of personal preferences and what you are used come into the choice but for me IE is my favorite.

Don

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »
1st place goes to CHROME!

I have three different browsers installed and keep them updated at all times.

Chrome is my favorite, Second is Firefox but it is dropping rapidly.

The third is a Chrome Clone called "Iron" which is also good but I'm still trying it out.

I have never had the patience for setting up "Opera" but I have heard from friends that once you get used to it it is also very good.

Take yer pick, pardner!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »
Someone said IE has to be loaded due to the OS requires it. Is that accurate? Perhaps I can get the tech to go with IE 10 and get away from the bug??????
He won't be back till Monday some time but I can leave instructions with the office lady who is minding the store.

Thanks
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

J,Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:21 am »
IE9 may be the better choice right now. IE 10 still has some bugs that conflict with different softwares that are running at the same time. I got this from the tech office at work. As for IE having to be on the drive due to sys requirements???? I'll try to find out for sure.

smitty0312

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
I just started using chrome, I like it so far.

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »
i just started using chrome  and like it  seems to be faster than IE     just my imput     SKIP

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:49 pm »
I did use Firefox but it became slow so I switched to Seamonkey which, apparently  is Firefox based but I find it a lot faster
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »
Browsers are just like Scroll Saws!

Find the one that WORKS for you and be happy!

I have to be familiar with most of them due to Seniors asking me questions all the time...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »
From the information I was able to find on the internet, IE7 is the last version compatible with XP, so I'm going to have the tech load that. It's what was on it before I screwed up and loaded IE8 which started all the trouble. According to what I read there are issues due to changes in the newer hardware over the antique I have.
About 5 or 6 years old and outdated. Probably would require a new hard drive and other upgrades and would be cheaper to buy a new PC. I did get an upgrade for the RAM either 1 or 2 Gigs.
I may try Firefox or Chrome after I get it running right again. I'm tempted to take my own advice though, and not fix it if it's working. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 03:14:21 am »
Use Chrome. It's THE choice.

How much RAM is installed in your machine? 2-4GB should be in, 1GB is not enough to have fun.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
Torsten...he is running XP so anything over 3 Gig is wasted....

~~~GB~~~

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »
I certainly appreciate the responses to my questions, however I think many of us are guilty of the same thing.
Namely skimming a message and responding to parts of the questions but not taking everything into account before responding. Which adds confusion and doesn't completely address the problem.
I'll ask again, how important is having IE loaded on  the PC in regards to the operation of the operating system?
I've read it is required, so there for it must be loaded.
The upgrade to IE8 crashed the system.
Then after formating the PC the tech loaded it (IE8) again, and as soon as I started to add software from the disc that accompanied the printer it crashed again this time with a "FATAL ERROR" notification. At which time I turned it off and returned it to the repair shop.
I've done some checking on Microsoft's site and learned the upgrades aren't compatible with the hardware or OS, which seems to me to be the culprit.
Now I'm concerned that loading any of the other browsers could bring about a similar reaction.
I stress this is an OLD MACHINE that updates from MS are no longer going to be available, which may mean it is nothing but junk. The operting system is Windows XP Home edition! I believe they put the maximum available RAM chips in it and I believe the 2 chips totaled 2 Gigs.
Gabby

MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
Read the title of your own post carefully before you go off on your friends!

"What are the top picks to replace Internet Explorer?"

That is what you asked and that is what I and several others answered.
The opening sentence in your post also does not give all the information you just posted.

You asked, We answered.

~~~GB~~~

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:19 am »
Gabby I have never had a problem with IE as it is installed with the OS.  However I do not recommend either upgrading it, or using it.  Just think of it this way.  If you are a hacker and want to cause problems, you go after the biggest, most used target on the horizon.  That is invariably Microsoft.  I personally prefer Chrome, but used Firefox for a long time also.  my 2 cents worth!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi