Author Topic: Shopping for a new computer  (Read 2753 times)

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
Shopping for a new computer
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:40:46 pm »
I have finally decided I need to upgrade my computer in my work shop, from a desktop to laptop.  The problem is I want to start doing some pattern designing and storing.  My wife has a Dell laptop but I don't like it and it is several years old.  I have looked at Toshiba at Best Buy, but I really can't make heads or tails of them.  I know I want at least 3 gigs of hard drive and memory of 320 to 500 gigs.  The processors are where I get in trouble, what makes the best speed for what I described.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping for a new computer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »
IF you are not going to be playing heavy-duty games then most of the lower cost laptops will suffice.

Just be sure you get the largest Hard Drive you can and at least 3 GB of memory.

Also, unless you are going to go MAC then your new computer should run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Operating System.

If you are near a "MicroCenter" store they are very good at fitting the computer to the user.

Frankly BestBuy has a bunch of 'associates' that could care less about YOUR needs and they will sell you what they have on the floor.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:40:18 pm »
I am not a Mac user.  I really never got expossed to them.  I don't I have ever heard of a Micro Center in the area.  I do appreciated the advice.  I am not an on-line gamer either.  I play an occasional gameof solitare, or Majong but that is about the exetent of it.  I want to learn pattern design and I want to store the patterns that interest me.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:35 pm »
GB I live in Mcdonough, Ga. about 30 miles south of Atlanta.  There are a few mom and pop repair shops around but they are not dealers.  All the dealers are big box stores, Best Buy, Staples and Sam's Club, places like that.  I did go on line to Toshiba.com and they have a interacting sales person on line to talk to.  I am still looking for a good brand with support.  Thanks for the help.
Jeff 44

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »
I have a both a Mac system and a PC, but I haven't turned the PC on for about three months and the last time I did I wondered why I even keep it.   

Using Easy Draw Software on the Mac makes drawing Intarsia patterns a snap, nothing could be simpler. 

However, that said, I think all Apple products are over priced as well as upgrades, such as extra memory and etc.   It's really hard to justify the additional costs associated with the Mac.  If it wasn't for the time saved in producing designs I couldn't.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
MicroCenter has two stores in the Atlanta area, Duluth and Marietta.
I am not affiliated with them in any way but have had good results when friends purchased there and I have bought many 'parts' there and always receive good advice and service.
AND they are a COMPUTER STORE with everyone in the place a trained computer person.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:51 am »
Hey Jeff, I don't like to slam products or manufactures but, My wife and I received Identical Toshiba laptops for Christmas About five years ago. Just about the time the warranty was up, both computers started acting up. The biggest problem was the charging ports broke. They both were replaced under warranty, but soon broke again out of warranty. Then the hard drive took a dump on mine.
I now have a HP laptop, and my wife has a Mac Book Pro. We will never have a Toshiba again!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:53:49 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:37 am »
General info on "Warranties"....

IF you are a Costco member and buy your computer there they automatically EXTEND the warranty to TWO years.
This holds true for most of the electronics sold there.

~~~GB~~~

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 01:29:33 pm »
thanks for all of the information.  My wife has a HP netbook and had to replace the battery in lest than a year.  She also has a Dell laptop,  and we had to have the battery replaced on it.  I like the seperate number pad on the Toshiba and I have a friend who has had two of them and really likes them and has had no trouble with she even increased the memory on the first one.  I will keep looking and trying.  I do appreciated the advice and the info.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 01:38:24 pm »
I'd like to find a laptop on the cheap as a back up for this old Dell but haven't found anything in my ball park like $50 + or - used, so many of those listed as refurbished are nearly as expensive as the new ones. One of these days though this one is going to crap out then we'll have to bite the bullet.
Ever notice when they change models the price goes up, they could market these things for a whole lot less. Greedy people!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »
Ain't that the truth.  I think they do leave some features out some that they can come out next month with a new and improved one.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:39:18 am »
It's not always the brand guys.  I have been using the same Toshiba laptop for about 5 years now (I have several other desktops) and have never had a failure on the laptop.  My son has broken the charging port on 1 through handling.  Every brand sells both top and bottom of the line machines, and you often get what you pay for even within a brand.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:19:07 am »
Hey Bill, I know what you are saying, But our two Toshiba lap tops were top of the line!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:04 pm »
Dan,  sometimes I think it can be attributed to how fast things evolve in the pc world.  The components they use this month are obsolete next.  I bet it makes quality control a nightmare.  I have had or dealt with just about every brand, and I have heard nightmare stories about all of them while others sing their praises.  That being said, I like Gateway for my desktops.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »
And I wouldn't buy a Gateway if it were the last computer on earth!
Just shows to go ya!!!!

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi