Author Topic: Computers  (Read 2803 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Computers
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »
So, what do you use and how do you like it? I have a HP laptop that is about a year old. Its fast and does ever thing I need it to do. I got my wife a Macbook Pro for Christmas. She loves it! I think when its time to replace this one, I am going with a mac!
So how about you, What do you use?
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »
I've had my Mac Pro for about 1-1/2 years and will never go back to a PC. 
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
I'm using a Panasonic CF-73 laptop that I bought for using in my business in 1998. I used it every day on a tool truck until 2007 when I retired. I put it in my shop then and have used it every day since for roaming wood working sites on the Internet.
She's still going strong!! Never a problem except when I got a virus two years ago and my son-in-law  got that straightened out for me.   ;D
Knocking on wood.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »
Built my own  PC for the third time about 18 mos. ago....
Updated a couple of times with more memory and better sound card. Have a new video card to make the graphics more compatible with my 21" wall-mount monitor and it will go in this week.
Have dealt with both PC and Mac since the early 90's and prefer PC unless need for major graphics is there.

Will likely start a new build this summer and give mine to my son.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
I have a Dell desktop and a dell laptop both 4 years old, both have been re-booted and should last a while yet, they are both slow as we are not on high speed connection 54mbps, that is through copper wire
Jimbo

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »
I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525. I have been looking at a new Dell XPS 17" Laptop.

Mark

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:01:56 am »
Work: HP 64bit quad-prozessor, 1GB graphics, 8GB Memory and 2x21"Displays - a hell of a machine  ;D

Home: 2 IBM Thinkpads(our mobile working stations), 1 Server(absolute silent machine for printing, scanning, the dirty jobs), 1 Network Storage(backup, share, music library), 2 Squeezeboxes (Radio/MP3). 30Mbit/s internet-connection.

For notice: I'm a software developer. So I need this. It's basic life support for me.

regards
Torsten

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
2002 Dell Dimension 8250 Desktop.  2.4Ghz P4 processor, 512mb RDRam, 256mb nVidia AGP video, 1.1Tb on 3hdds and 21" flat panel monitor.  It's old, but I wipe it clean and do a full system reload about every 6 mos.  Keeps it running pretty smoothly, however it's getting to be there are more and more programs I just can't run.   >:(

Hmmm.....DeWalt 788...or...New PC......aarrgh!  I'm sure I'll get a new 'puter before the DeWalt though!

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:14:57 am »
I think we need a translator for this area.  I know my computer is a Dell and my printer is an HP 2100 Laser.  Oh yes, I do know that I have Windows XP.  My only problem is that I can't print pdf files from the computer to the printer.  It will print diagrams fine but wording is nonsense.

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:17 am »
@ Mainewoods
put in some more memory, 512MB is no fun.
Go for 2 GB or 4GB and the machine will run like lightning.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:43:31 am »
Tux....
that Dell most likely has their proprietary memory and the RAM upgrade would cost as much as a new machine!
This is the worst thing about older and even newer DELL equipment!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:36 am »
I see, it's got Rambus-RAM. Go for ebay, search for them. they are not much used any more - should be cheap to get. The Dell 8250 takes up to 2GB of it.

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 10:44:07 am »
I build all our desktops, we have four in the house, all running Win-XP. Three laptops, New Toshiba my wife gave me for Christmas (Win-7), a Del l(Win-XP) and a HP (Win-XP). I am due for an upgrade, so I will build a new desktop for me sometime this year. Just wondering how long Windows will keep supporting XP. I think they have now extended support through 2014. 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:36 pm »
Tux....
that Dell most likely has their proprietary memory and the RAM upgrade would cost as much as a new machine!
This is the worst thing about older and even newer DELL equipment!

~~~GB~~~

GrayBeard's right Tux.  Even half a gig of RDRam is as much as a brand new low end system!  Besides, its a 1066 bus, so max's out at 1.5gig.  I'm not going to waste the money on Ram...after my vacation in the spring, I'll set some $$ aside for a new 'puter!  Plus, I have enough knowledge to keep this one working smooth enough for my needs, been doing this computer thing since before MS-DOS!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »
Kepy,  Two things you might try.  first I would download the latest version of the Adobe Reader and install it, next I would suggest unplugging and removing your printer via the control panel, reboot, and reinstall the printer.  I'd bet one of those two would fix it.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi