Author Topic: De-lurking  (Read 3842 times)

Tako Kichi

De-lurking
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:45 pm »
Hi folks, after lurking for about a week I thought it was time I stuck my head through the door and said hello to all you fine scrollers.

My name is Larry, I'm 54 years old and I am an ex-pat Brit who's been living in Canada for the past 18+ years. I have dabbled in various forms of woodworking over the years and was very much into marquetry work in the early 1980's but I have never tried scroll work before, hence my presence here so that I can absorb as much info as possible!  ;D

About 10 years ago I was hit with a disabling medical condition that meant I lost my career as a result and I have been trying to get by on a small disability pension ever since. Being disabled means I have lots of empty hours to fill and I am hoping that scrolling will fill at least a few of those.  ;)

My start in scrolling has not been the best as I have already had to return the first machine I bought and I just took delivery of my second machine tonight. I started out with what looked like a good deal, one of the major Canadian chains had a recent sale on this machine.....

It was on sale for $70 instead of $230 and had a lot of nice features like two-way tilting table, built in work light (on the same tube as the blower), tool-less blade changes, quick release tension and variable speed with a digital readout. I had read the reviews on the company website and they were somewhat mixed with some people liking it and others saying it was full of 'issues' and should be avoided. As they had a full refund policy if returned within 7 days I decided to take the risk and buy it.....big mistake! My example lived up to all the bad points raised! It would not hold a constant speed but rather it 'hunted' between about 450 stokes per minute (SPM) and 1400 SPM. I had read that it needed a very clean power supply and when I fed it through a surge protected power bar instead of straight into the wall outlet it did smooth out the 'hunting' a little bit but that just revealed other problems. At anything above 1/2 speed it would start to rattle and clank and going above 3/4 speed had it 'walking' all over the bench top as the vibrations were so bad (and that was even before you started cutting!) I also had issues with the exhaust port which the manual stated would fit any vacuum hose but neither my shop vac nor the household vacuum cleaner would fit either inside or over the port. Needless to say it went back and I got my refund.

I picked up this one tonight from my local hardware store....

It cost $99 and I have seen it on the net under a multitude of guises including the Harbor Freight own brand, the King Canada brand and even as a Skil brand. I have not had a chance to cut wood with it yet but I did fire it up in the living room and it purrs like a well built sewing machine (with which I have a lot experience...see below). The main blade holders are for pinned type blades and it comes with a couple of adapters so that you can use pinless ones but as they require the use of Allen keys to change a blade I think I am very quickly going to change them to thumb screws to make life easier. The bellows seem a bit 'wimpy' as there is not a lot of air coming out of the blower at lower speeds but I will see how it goes and if required I can rig up an old aquarium air pump I have laying around here to blow the dust off.

While I am here I will take the opportunity to answer a couple of questions that invariably come up when I join a new forum.

Q. What does your 'handle' mean and is there any significance.

A. 'Tako kichi' is a Japanese phrase that means 'kite crazy'. Before I became too ill to fly (I don't have the stamina to spend long days on the flying field anymore) my wife and I earned an international reputation for the large kites we used to design, build and fly. On the kiting forums I am also known as 'The Wizard' a name given to me by a former World Champion kite flyer after I invented a hand-held electronic device used for starting a specific type of competitive kite flying event. The device has since been used at six World Championships and literally hundreds of smaller events.

Q. What is the guitar you are playing.

A. It's not a guitar as such, it's a rather rare beast as it is a fretless acoustic bass. Acoustic basses are becoming more popular these days but very few of them are fretless (i.e. they have no frets like a guitar but have a neck more like a violin, cello or double bass). The fretless bass has a unique sound and is far more difficult to play well as it requires a lot more precision from the player.

As this is a woodworking forum I thought you may appreciate a larger picture as it is as much a work of the luthier's art as it is a musical instrument.

The front, back, sides and front face of the headstock are all in an exquisite pillow maple finished with an amber stain/varnish with a very high and smooth gloss. The neck and bridge are a deep brown mahogany and the neck is a 'compound' type which changes shape (in the cross-section) as you move from the headstock to the body. The finger board is rosewood and is inlaid with a very intricate design using mother-of-pearl and abalone inlays. The sound hole rosette is also all abalone. The strings are round wounds (for tone) but are wrapped in a black Teflon tape so that they feel and play like traditional fretless flat wound strings. The Teflon means the strings are extra slippery (great for 'slides') but they don't gouge the fingerboard like regular round wound strings would do.

I will let you know how I get on with my new 'toy' and hopefully I will be turning out more good projects than scrap before too long!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: De-lurking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30:29 pm »
Welcome Tako Kichi.
As another fairly new scroller, I can tell you,
you won't be disappointed by joining a great group of very supportive people. Others here have disabilities they work around too, but they enjoy this hobby.
From the look of things you are an achiever, and I expect to hear many more things from you in the future.
I'm sure others will chime in with advise about saws and such, I hope your new one works out well for you. The pinless blades are the most useful especially for fine fret work as you won't be able to thread a pinned blade through the small holes required for inside cuts.
All you have to do is holler help and a dozen people will chime in.
Make some sawdust!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:36 am »
Hey Larry, Welcome from Southern California. I'm Dan, also a bass player, Well former player but once a player always a player! That is one gorgeous bass you have there! I myself have a 67 Fender Jazz bass. It has been modified and repainted, so it is not worth what it would have, but it has allot of sentimental value.
Feel Free to ask questions about scroll saws and scrolling, That's what we are here for!
Dan In Southern California

ShadowB6

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:48 am »
Hi Tako Kichi;

Welcome to a great forum board. I've only been on here now a few weeks myself and have really enjoyed the messages and banter with others. I'm from Canada also and you will notice many other Canadians on here. Something I'm finding out rapidly is that no matter where you're from, everyone here makes you feel very welcome.

Mike

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:38:47 am »
Welcome, glad you found us and good luck with your new saw. Everyone here is friendly and willing to help.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:49 am »
Hi Tako Kichi, a warm welcome from Germany. Let the sawdust fly and show us some of your works.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:38:07 am »
Glad you found us Larry. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. I have been known to play a little Guitar and Tenor Sax.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:41:01 am »
Hello Larry and welcome from Texas.  I'm Julie.  Glad you decided to join us.  Best of luck with the new saw.  You will find commonality here with lots of folks.  We have musicians, kite flyers, Canadians, Brits, and a lot of folks with various disabilities that have amazed us with their scrollwork.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:47:08 am »
Welcome from Maine!  If you want to learn, you've come to the right place!

marmoh

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 08:19:24 am »
Welcome from Mississippi .. Marion

bluesuede

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 10:17:42 am »
Welcome Larry,
I'm Bruce from Nova Scotia. I am confident that you will learn a lot from all of the great folks that make up this fourm, can't wait for you to fire up the new saw and show some projects.

Bruce ;D

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:05:27 am »
welcome aboard Larry i'm Todd from Newfoundland lota of good advice on here don't be afraid to ask questions.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

cameronj

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:02 pm »
Welcome Larry.  I'm Jim from London, Ont.  Glad to have you join our group.  You'll always find help here, just don't be afraid to ask.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:46 pm »
Welcome Larry, I too am new here, this site has already taught me much. The people here are wonderful and generous, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Keep us posted about the other new saw.

Bob

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »
Welcome!!

SMF

Teknoromi