Author Topic: retired looking for help  (Read 2775 times)

gbuss

retired looking for help
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:18 am »
I am retired now and found I needed something to do to keep me busy. I enjoy going to flea market (to Sell) every weekend. I enjoy talking and working with customers. While looking for something else to sell, I find I like making things with scroll saw to sell to people on the spot. If anyone has suggestions on items and patterns they have made on the spot and found that people enjoyed what you made for them. Please forward your ideas to me. I would really appreciate it. Glad to be part of the forum and part of Scroll Saw Workshop

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: retired looking for help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
Hi gbus, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
I find small things like coasters or bookmarks sell well at the craft fairs, especially the "Jumping Frog " bookmark, and it's easy to stack cut 4 or 5 at a time with those, hope this helps.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »
Greetings from South Dakota (currently snowing).  Welcome to the addiction and madness.  Try nametags.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

gbuss

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the welcome scrollers and the advice. I hope to be here for a long time as you are.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »
Hello there! Welcome. I'm Pete from Minnesota, USA. Where are you from?
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:39 pm »
Here's a pattern to try for a bookmark. You can cut the scallop or the smooth edge - I like the smooth myself. They cut quick and the material cost is low. You can substitute any symbol that works, like a school symbol, or do some emoticons :) or a person's initials. These are made with 2" wide back-to-back oak iron-on veneer (I usually start with 2 pieces 16" long), cut to 4" long, stack them, glue on the pattern and cut. The veneer sells for $5 for an 8' roll at Menards and Lowes.
Make sure to iron it good the first time. You can re-heat it but not after you've cut the design (the glue will leak across the cut lines).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:52:37 am »
Hi and welcome o the forum. I'm Marg from Australia.
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:14 am »
Hi Gbus and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:11:18 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. There are people from all over the world here.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jlatorre

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:27 am »
welcome to he forum,I am juan from chile

gbuss

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »
Hello there! Welcome. I'm Pete from Minnesota, USA. Where are you from?

Hi jrpeteo. I know you are enjoying that snow up there. Were don't here in sunny South Carolina. (not trying to rub it in. LOL)

gbuss

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:44 pm »
Here's a pattern to try for a bookmark. You can cut the scallop or the smooth edge - I like the smooth myself. They cut quick and the material cost is low. You can substitute any symbol that works, like a school symbol, or do some emoticons :) or a person's initials. These are made with 2" wide back-to-back oak iron-on veneer (I usually start with 2 pieces 16" long), cut to 4" long, stack them, glue on the pattern and cut. The veneer sells for $5 for an 8' roll at Menards and Lowes.
Make sure to iron it good the first time. You can re-heat it but not after you've cut the design (the glue will leak across the cut lines).

Those are awesome. I will try them this weekend. Thanks so much. That is the help a newbie needs

gbuss

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:38 pm »
Wow!!! this truly is a world wide experience. Great to get the greetings from everyone. As I gain experience as a scroller, I hope I will be able to contribute to everyone. Thanks to everyone. I would also like to say the people on this forum seem to have class. Not like some I have quit even going too.

gbuss

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 07:18:52 pm »
Hi gbus, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
I find small things like coasters or bookmarks sell well at the craft fairs, especially the "Jumping Frog " bookmark, and it's easy to stack cut 4 or 5 at a time with those, hope this helps.

I am curious about your jumping frog book mark. Where might I find this and how it is made.
Thanks
Gbuss

SMF

Teknoromi