Author Topic: new saw I ran across  (Read 2101 times)

kardar2

new saw I ran across
« on: September 27, 2015, 12:59:43 am »
I was playing around on the net and rab across  this looks interesting. Anyone see one in action?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RB5B4Y?psc=1

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: new saw I ran across
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 12:38:23 pm »
2 speeds.  Not fond of that.  Plain and pin end blades means it probably has a funky blade holder.  It seems heavy so maybe less vibration.  I think I'd stay away from this one.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:45:33 am »
Woodworker's Supply has the same saw at the same price http://woodworker.com/24-scroll-saw-mssu-140-063.asp?search=woodtek&searchmode=2. Don't know the company but it might might offer better long term service than Amazon.  The thing that bothers me is the paint on the power cord, if they do that, what else have they done poorly.

Also, I don't see a blade tension lever so it might require reaching to the back of the saw to turn the knob at the back end of the top arm.

Still, it might be worth digging into.

Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:09 am »
It might be a good "starter" saw but, at that price, I think I would go for a De Walt or Delta first.
I agree with the above posts.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:35 am »
I was playing around on the net and rab across  this looks interesting. Anyone see one in action?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RB5B4Y?psc=1

I would get this one  Proxxon 37090 DSH/E Scroll Saw $285.00  if you are looking to get a cheap scroll saw this would be the one I would pick..

enjoy.

that other scroll saw sucks.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:28:35 am »
Looking at the ad for this saw it appears that it has an induction motor (No brushes)  This is a good thing for durability in cutting thicker wood.  (1/2" or thicker)  That is why it is a two speed saw.  A speed controller will ruin an induction motor. Consistently cutting thicker woods will kill a  DeWalt in short order.  Mine lasted less than two years.
      I agree, reaching back the 24" to adjust the tension would be a pain.  Especially if you are doing a lot of blade connections like when doing fretwork.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi