Author Topic: New Project  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: New Project
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 05:42:56 pm »
Pictures show the pieces cut and sanded for David's Head and the the Intarsia complete except for Backer and final Finish. 
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:52 pm »
Wow Al, That is so cool! Thanks for the work in progress!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »
I was able to completer the entire Intarsia today so here it is.

1. Before putting the finish on it I placed it on a piece of 3/16" ply and traced around the entire Intarsia to make the pattern for the backer.

2. Cut out the backer.

3. Using a Branding Iron stamped my name on it, then drilled a shallow 3/4" hole to put this year's penny into, showing the year the Intarsia was made.

4. The finished Intarsia.

Please let me know if this exercise has been any help.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »
I am really amazed by how easy you made this project look. You did a fantastic job with it. Thanks for sharing the process
MrsN

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
Excellent Al! Beautiful project! One question. Do you under cut the backer or do you cut it  the exact size of the finished piece? I usually under cut the backer so the edge of the plywood doesn't show.
Dan In Southern California

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:02 pm »
Gosh Al, I just can't tell you how good that looks. I've never done intarsia before, but after watching you do this one and seeing some of your other work, I think I'm going to give it a try. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Kim

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »
 Excellent job Al. And thanks for sharing all the step by step details that you went through to make this project.And answering questions as well.
Jim

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »
Dan, I used to undercut the backer when I first started, but for the past dozen years I cut just inside the the line I've traced around the Intarsia.  I think it's a matter preference and to me it doesn't look that bad to see the backer's edge from the front side and looking at the Intarsia, from the back side, I think it looks more finished.

I also used to paint the whole backer edge dark brown, which I no longer do and it hasn't made a difference as far as people wanting them. You have to get pretty close to even see the back edge of the Intarsia.

I don't think there is any right or wrong way, it's whatever pleases you.

Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Chachi

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 02:31:07 am »
Wow Al that is simply art work simply Fantastic and awsome I'm sure he will love it. I am still at the ALMOST area lol However you did make it look as if anyone could do it, You made it look so easy.
   Thanks for all the tips and the share.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:44 am »
Al, thanks so much for the cut by cut breakdown of the intarsia.  Great job as usual.  It takes me forever and you make it look so simple.  I think it's time to give it another go. 

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 08:46:44 am »
Al, I've been glued to your instructional process like the read of a great novel. Your modesty regarding how wonderful your work is reminds me of the story of a sculptor. A sculptor took a large rock and began the process of creating a statue. Once his project was complete the townspeople commented that he had created a masterpiece. The sculptor replied that he did no such thing. He said the statue was always there I just chiseled away the rough edges.

I don't think you realize just how talented you are. You've managed to eliminate the fear most of us have in trying Intarsia for ourselves and for that I say thank-you.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bluesuede

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:55 am »
WoW, Al, you are truly a master!!! Thank you so much for showing everyone the techniques and the process of building your intarsia project. I'm sure that this has, at the very least, planted a seed in peoples minds that great things can come from a few pieces of wood and a little paitence. What a great idea that is to put a penny in the back to signify the year... Simply amazing...
Bruce ;D

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. I only hope that everyone can get get half the satisfaction out of making something people cherish that I do!!
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »
Al, that is absolutly amazing. Very good instractions.

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
Al. Are the arms a little bit darker wood or stained darker?
As always Great job, you are a master of Intarsia.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi