Author Topic: backup for 1/8' baltic birch  (Read 3164 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
backup for 1/8' baltic birch
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:36:37 am »
I have a special order for an anniversary present. I am cutting it out of 1/8 BB.
Since it is a custom piece I only need one piece cut of BB. What do you use to back it up such as scrap wood that you throw away after the cut?
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Re: backup for 1/8' baltic birch
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:17 am »
I use 1/8" mdf or hardboard backsides of old (book) closets.
that kind of build it your own closets like from Ikea.
take a tour on "trash" day and if you see if people trow away old cabinets or closets, just take out the back.
( be sure you ask.... ;) )
cheap, good and simple.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:31:50 am »
Could use a piece of laun its cheap enough, or might search the lumber store they might have some scrap stuff they have cut down.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:35 pm »
Hobby Lobby sells thin foam (2mm and 3mm) that are 12"x18" for <$1. The black is very black and makes a nice baker, but it will not provide much physical support of the 1/8" BB Ply. If you're framing the finished cutting, this foam backer works fine for thin work.

Another option would be stained or painted 1/8" ply. It sells for $19 for a 60"x60" sheet so it's pretty inexpensive to use as a backer as well as for the main cutting.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:51 pm »
I use posterboard or scrap plywood (thin) for the top piece anyway.  AAANNNDDD I have never heard of needing only one of anything.  I don't sell but I imagine that a client would be very happy getting two for one and let them decide what to do with the other.  Whatever you do, don't try to cut out just one.  Good luck..:):)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »
Yea it is an anniversary plaque with the date of wedding on it. They only need one. I was looking for something to back the BB while cutting to prevent breaking small cuts.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »
It is hard to cut 1/8" BB Ply in a single thickness. Unless you have scrap material available, the 1/8" BB Ply is probably as cheap as you can buy - cut 2 or 3 thicknesses of it. Or switch from 1/8" to 1/4" for your cutting. Use a blade that gives several teeth in the thickness of the material to reduce chatter when cutting.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »
I have cut thinner BB when I made a top for old craftsman, being at 1/8 its going to cut very easy and fast I can tell you that, even on a slow speed, I had extra left and did a couple of ornaments and had to slow my motor speed way down but did cut it single , might been easier to stack it but did a couple projects with what I had left over. If you can cut it at 1/4 might be easier, if still doing 1/4 be best to put a waste backer under it to make it thicker. Why I suggest the laun its about 4 bucks for a 2x2 sheet of it.

Rover2

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »
Just finished a one of a kind project out of 1/8th in baltic Birch and used a piece of 3/16th inch MDF to stack under it.  Worked fine.  It comes in a 2 foot by 4 foot sheet at home depot.  Can't remember how much it cost but it was the cheapest thing I could find for the purpose. Hope this helps.  Good luck on your project.
AL

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:21:43 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I knew all of you would give me some great ideas!

Malistar22

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:20:17 pm »
Some might get sick of hearing it from me, but I suggest heading to your local reStore (if you got one near by) and get your throw away material from there. Since you obviously aren't keeping it for anything and it's just scrap anyway, why pay full price? Give your money back to your area instead of a box store and not only get it for pennies on the dollar, but feel good for donating to a good cause.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:35 pm »
Some might get sick of hearing it from me, but I suggest heading to your local reStore (if you got one near by) and get your throw away material from there. Since you obviously aren't keeping it for anything and it's just scrap anyway, why pay full price? Give your money back to your area instead of a box store and not only get it for pennies on the dollar, but feel good for donating to a good cause.

Yup I forgot about that, restore is a good place to go to get stuff. I got a little roll of scrap formica from mine for 5 bucks. Scrap backer to cut and toss would be a good place to go, might even find some useable wood to cut as well.

Rover2

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
Restore is a great Idea.  Just one problem.  Home Depot is 3 miles away and the closest restore is 65 miles away.  Love the restore but can't go there every day.

SMF

Teknoromi