Author Topic: Font size and type  (Read 1452 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Font size and type
« on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
Happy Saturday fellow scrollers. I've been working on a project for a good friend, and when I designed the pattern I used a size 18 font (arial) . I've had limited success in keeping the letters legible and am considering re-doing it with a larger font. Out of curiosity what is the smallest font, and type of font that you more experienced scrollers can use and are successful in maintaining legibility? (I'm using an Olsen #2 crown tooth). Thank  you, Barry.

Offline gramps

• View Profile
Re: Font size and type
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »
hey barry, i don't know if this would be an option for you but, on a project i'm about to start (if all the cutting goes well) i'm going to use a wood burning tool to do the lettering. i was fotunate in that my daughter bought me one at a rummage sale for $5. maybe a soldering iron might work, i don't know. but you could look up pyrography to get an idea of the modern day wood burner tools. mine is dated 1988, still in the box.
                              good luck, gramps

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:42:58 pm »
Barry - I would not attempt to cut an 18 point font - way too small for my taste. If I go below 40 point I get anxious. I always use the largest font that will fit - sometimes 100 or 120 point as in "Sammy".

The text on Alfred E. Newman is 80 point.
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=15058.0
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Gramps however I'm determined to master this new toy before I try something else. Actually, it was a toss up between scrolling and pyrography - scrolling won. I've considered a #1 but it's challenging enough trying to manipulate a #2 with these sausage like fingers, not to mention seeing it. I refuse to submit to old age...

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »
an 18 point font is smaller then I would like to go, although using a spiral blade it could work. When I have to do small letter I like spiral blades, the wide kerf and cutting action make it cut like a pencil writing.
Do you have any good "scrollable" fonts? I can send you some of my favorites if you want, otherwise check out a website like DaFont and the stencil type fonts. A good font with the o's and e's already designed to not have drop-outs is really helpful.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »
mrsn, thank you, I would appreciate that. I've used spiral blades for some veining but don't really see using it for smaller fonts and still retain any artistic detail. Thank you, Barry.

SMF

Teknoromi