Author Topic: I have found a couple saws on CL  (Read 1262 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
I have found a couple saws on CL
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »
First I apologize for posting so much here lately. I am an old fart like a kid with new toy with this scroll saw thing.
I am looking to get a different saw I really enjoy this scrolling. I found a couple of RBI  and 1 Excalibur saw on CL
They are within a 100 or so dollars of each other in price.
Is one better or are they both good saws? I really want one with very little vibration because I would like to try some more detailed fret work after I get some experience.
Thanks,
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: I have found a couple saws on CL
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »
Heard both are good most will go with the excaliber ray at seyco is good with parts for the EX, once I get the money and my 16inch craftsman bites the dust I want a dewalt or a excaliber.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:32 pm »
No need to apologize.  You haven't done anything wrong!  We are here to ask and answer questions and share our interests, and that is just what you are doing.  I have only used the RBI's but I know Excalibur is an excellent saw also.  I have no hesitancy in backing the RBI's.  I would look at the age and size of the saws and what you feel more comfortable with.  Both are still made and parts are available if they aren't too old.  Condition is an important factor.  Good luck.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »
Also if can run both saws test them out see if the perform like they should, if they won't let you test them out to make sure they work great I would pass and look for a saw you can test out before buying. I wish I could have done this on a skil I wasted on at lowes till I got my craftsman.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:14 am »
In case you did not know, the Excaliber comes in 3 sizes - 16", 21", and 30". The EX-16 has had some vibration concerns posted here. The EX-21 with a stand (I have one myself) is very stable and easy to change blades. I have not tried the EX-30 but I'd expect the added weight of the big table would further reduce vibration. So vibration-wise they go from not-so-good (16") to exceptional (30") - you need to know which one you're looking at. Similar with the RBI - there are different models. And note that RBI shut down, then re-opened recently. Check parts availability for the CL model you're considering.

Also note that the Excaliber has a tilting head with a large protractor adjuster below the table - rather than a tilting table like the RBI. I find the tilting head easier to use when cutting at an angle for bowl or basket work.

RBI has a unique feature - you can change the forward leading angle of the blade - increase the angle to get a more aggressive (faster) cut. I don't think I would use that feature - I like to cut very slowly - and I suspect it would not be much benefit to a newbie scroller.

I fully agree that you need to try any saw you consider on CL. If the owner will not let you try it for 10-15 minutes or so, or show how to change blades, adjust angle, etc., then forget it.

These machines are not that simple - lots of bearings, levers, and odd motions - so I would recommend buying a new saw from Seyco or RBI and getting the assurance that it will work as advertised for a long time, and have parts available when needed.   

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:36:15 am »
Never apologize for posting - that is what the forum is for!  We are glad you do it.  I am a huge fan of the Excalibur.  I wouldn't trade my saw for another on the market.  That being said, you are looking at used saws so go with the best one available, regardless of brand.  I personally love the fact that my table says level and the head turns.  I have used that feature again and again and it makes my bevel cuts far more accurate because I am not fighting gravity.  I do a lot of spiral bowls.  With the EX, Ray will take care of you whether you bought your saw from him or not.  He is #1 in customer service and will help you whatever the issue.  Good luck with your quest.

SMF

Teknoromi