Author Topic: Granberg chain saw mill...... anyone know if this works or not?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Granberg chain saw mill...... anyone know if this works or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:32 am »
I'll bet it does work but, I have NO experience with it.
Looks like too much trouble and you need a lot of space for wood storage while it dries. And maybe a kiln to speed up the process. There are plans for inexpensive solar kilns and various other things like hoists to lift the logs with but, it is not as easy and cheap as you might think and takes a lot of time.
If you want to get into milling your own wood to save money as a hobbyist, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. (pun intended)  :D
If you want to get into it to make money from selling wood, there a lot bigger and better machines to be had.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:41:13 am »
I've heard from others that they work but they beat the hell out of your chainsaw. Consider the feet of cutting the saw has to do to mill just one log. Cherry is high now, so it might be worth burning up a saw to harvest it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:28 am »
They do work but have plenty of extra chains sharp and ready to use. If you get one, you may as well invest in a chainsaw sharpener too.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:36 am »
I know people who have used chainsaw mills and they strongly recommend getting a chain intended for ripping.  Normal chainsaw chains are intended for crosscuts.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi