Author Topic: Bar clamps on sale at harbor freight  (Read 2115 times)

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
GO PACK GO

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Bar clamps on sale at harbor freight
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I wouldn't take those for free.  I bought a few several years ago and was thoroughly disappointed in them.  It seemed that they slipped without much pressure at all, and then were stripped out.  They are also fragile and break easily if dropped.  I switched to Irwin and Bessey and have been happy with them.  To each his own I expect.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:32:04 pm »
I'll go the other way, I bought about a dozen of the quick release bar clamps" the all metal ones and have been very satisfied with them.  A bargain at those prices. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:19 pm »
I guess I have mixed feelings with them. For one they are always having a sale, so it is nice to buy a lot there for cheap :)  I have four 12" quick release bar clamps and they work great for me. So I needed some 24" ones and I had my mom get them on the way home from work and they ended up being total s**t. All four of them when you squeeze them they would fall back and not stay in place. I haven't tried the metal ones though. Another idea is flea markets. I bought some f- style 24" clamps there and they work great for me. With the money I had to spend at the time they work fine. Now for bigger jobs like clamping up important joints I will invest in higher quality in the future when I can spend $30 or more per clamp. I guess it all depends on what you need them for and how much you have to spend. Also with the flea market idea, you might find name brand clamps for a lot cheaper than at the stores. (Just test the clamping pressure before you buy them)

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:43 am »
I bought a dozen of them a few yrs ago and I only have 1 left that hasn't broke.  Wont buy anymore.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
I bought several of them last year and everyone of them didn't hold enough pressure eventually they all broke when I tried to Apply extra pressure. In my opinion they are a waste of money. Spend a few extra dollars and get name brand clamps as they will last a lifetime.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »
With the "Holidays" quickly approaching you should check your neighborhood Lowes, Home Depot and Menard's stores!
Every year during the holidays they have Irwin clamp deals!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »
 I bought some a few years ago and found it was wasted momey, even though they were cheap. I invested in Quick Grip, and well worth it, better to spend a few dollars more and get  something worth the money, just my opinion.   Edward

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:52:02 pm »
I have bought some of those black 12 inch ones and have used them more than a few times and love them, they are light easy to use one handed and have worked on all sort of stuff I glued up even a box I made they worked perfect, maybe for heavy duty use they may not work might be better with the metal bar clamps.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »
I bought some a few years ago and threw them away. They were a waste of money. The pads kept coming off even after I glued them on and the grip was only so-so.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

SMF

Teknoromi