Author Topic: Covering power tools in the shop  (Read 2693 times)

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
Covering power tools in the shop
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:27 am »
Does anyone here cover their power tools in their shop? I am thinking of using a breathable cover (sold as motorcycle cover) to keep dust off tools not being used. I am thinking it being breathable, moisture would not build up on the tool to cause rust. I have one on my motorcycle in garage... works great. Shop is in my basement which has heat and air. Any advice will be great. Thanx
GO PACK GO

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: Covering power tools in the shop
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:34 am »
Yes ,I cover all my saws with sheets.Helps keep the dust and moisture off them.After each use at the end of the day,I'll blow all the saw dust off then cover them.In fact I cover my drill press,bench sanders,miter saw,table saw and scroll saw.

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
I keep my lathe covered but that's about it. The other tools I always clean after each use. I don't have to many moisture problems in the shop but I don't want to take any chances with the live center or bearings on my lathe so I cover it. The other tools seem to hold up alright.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »
Here in Southern California we don't have a high humidity problem. If I had to cover my tools, that would mean that I would have to clean them! :o
Dan In Southern California

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 04:44:40 pm »
Dan, now I know what "California dreamin" is all about.
GO PACK GO

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:25:36 pm »
I don't take time to cover any of my tools. The cover would get in the way of using them and I wouldn't have any clean place to lay the covers anyway.
The only "cover" I use is a good coat of paste wax ever month or so and brush the saw dust off when I'm finished using the tool.
I live in Kansas and we have every kind of weather you can imagine, from -15 in the winter to 115 in the summer and yes we have a lot of humidity too!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:12 am »
Don't cover my tools, when I was sawing in the shed i covered the bicycles and moped.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »
If a tool needs to be covered between uses, it is a sign to me that the tool isn't being used enough to justify itself.  I have so little room in my shop that there is no workbench and all my tools are on mobile bases so I can pull out the one I am using at the time.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:59 pm »
I cover the scrollsaw with a breathable cover I bought at Woodcraft.  My saw is in the garage and in the winter we heat with a woodstove and the saw is setup close to the stove, the cover helps keep any soot off.  I vaccum and wipe off the table before covering.

PoppaRob

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »
ON covering tools to keep dust off, not something i would do, not much on trying to keep tools clean, it shows people that do come by or know about tools that you know how to use them and how much they are used, just me,

What I would be covering up or making sure of, is the return air ducts and adding more filters or someway to vent out the dust, this could be a fire hazard, anyone ever see a sawdust fire, its like a flash fire and its not nice, you did say it was heated and cooled, correct,

please check this out, Poppa Rob

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »
Pulled out the wifes bicycle yesterday and the comment was:  This woul be better off outside with a tarp over it. At least it would not be covered in sawdust.  

My reply:  Aren't you glad I have a dust collector?

My arm still hurts!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:47:48 am by Billy in Va »
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »
Use my tools most days so no point in covering them, don't have a rust problem either
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi