Author Topic: Can U recommend a good power planer?  (Read 4345 times)

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
Can U recommend a good power planer?
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:08:28 pm »
I am thinking planer for sizing my wood. Any suggestions from my "friends" here at SSWorkshop will be appreciated. Products to stay away from, to check out etc. Thanx, see u all buzzin around the forum.
GO PACK GO

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Can U recommend a good power planer?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
A stationary floor model is the ultimate (I have a powermatic 15 inch), but if space or funds are a problem the Dewalt lunchbox models are both good.  The more expensive one is better as is usually the case.  I got a great deal on mine on Craigslist and they are often available there.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

scrollingdesigns

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:13:59 am »
I don't have one yet, but I have heard that the Rigid Thickness Planer a good choice. The reviews I have seen look good, especially for the price. I am keeping my eye out for a reconditioned one, haven't found it yet so eveidently not many come back. Also heard that Dewalt has a 2 speed unit that is good but more costly.

Offline Hawaiilad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:15:24 am »
I have used Delta's for years, but in the past few months, I bought the new Rigid 13" model.  I really like it. Great dust collection and have not noticed much snipe on smaller boards.  Well worth the money I spent.
Hawaii Lad
Larry

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:15:59 am »
The Dewalt 13" is the 735X.  It does have two speeds a regular and a finish.  I think it is about the best for the money.  (My opinion only :))  To get anything better, as the others have said, you would need to move up to a floor model with helical cutters.

One thing I really like about that particular Dewalt is the dust extraction.  That model has a built in blower which gets rid of a lot of wood shavings.  I have a friend who has his close to a wall.  He puts a hose from the planer to a hole cut in the wall.  It is only a couple of feet but the blower is strong enough to get rid of a lot of shavings.

Woodcraft has that Model for $650.  It comes with three additional blades.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:10:45 am by Barry »

cherie

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:28:31 am »
We had a Delta once, I do not remember the model number, but it always chipped out and kicked back, so we saved up for a floor planer with the spiral blades.  So I suggest that if you cannot take the step to a floor model, buy a planer that takes spirals, they cut much better, smoother and less chip out.  Just my thoughts.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
I own a De Walt 735 planer and LOVE it!
The only bad thing about it is you really NEED a dust collector to use with it. That thing spits out wood chips so fast and so far that you will be up to your knees in wood dust in nothing flat if you don't have a good collector. (I darn near suffocated my son-in-law in chips when I first tried my planner out.  ;D )
What I like about it......
Fairly heavy but portable (about 60 pounds) so it doesn't need to be bolted down.
It is two speed (thickness and finish speeds)
It has a very accurate thickness gauge (you can set it for 1/4", 1/2" 3/4" and 1" stops to keep from over doing it.)
It leaves very little snipe in the wood if it is set up right.
It has three cutting knives.
What I didn't like was that you need to buy the removable tables separately and the chip collector bag is an option. (the bag does work OK if you have a large trash can to use it with.)
In my opinion it is probably the best bang for the buck in portables (lunch box planers)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »
I have a Axminster, and i'm very happy with it.
Good machine for a fair price.
Even comes with a digital numberscreen to set the thickness, and you can go down with minimum 0.1MM (metric).
Didn't regret the purchase at all.

Greetings Glenn, Belgium

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:35:45 pm »
 :) :) Thanx to my ss "friends" here for response about a planer.  I spend numerous hours online looking at descriptions and specs for the various machines. I am awaiting FREE delivery from Home Depot of my Ryobi 15 amp 13" planer #AP1301 due here on Monday. Reason for this choice: blade cost, unit cost, lumber size usage, and yes the weight of the unit. I need to take unit outside of my basement shop for usage (my choice to move it). It is only 53 lbs. with dust collection capability. Unit ran me $229. plus tax. Stay tuned for my review.
GO PACK GO

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:38:40 pm »
I have a DeWalt 735 also and agree it is a great tool.  I bought an accessary for it. a hose and bag type adapter to fit a garbage can.  Works well.  They make a LOT of sawdust!
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »
Finally, finally got a chance to run my new Ryobi planer from Home Depot. What a gem. I can even lift it and walk it around to take outside. Setup was a snap. Did several practice runs and bingo I am off to the races. I would buy this unit all over again if I had to. Now I am pondering what I can use the shavings for???? easter basket wood grass?? lol
GO PACK GO

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »
there were pictures of woodchip scuplture/carvings going around for a while, you could try that.

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:41 pm »
I could also raise wax worms.... I do a lot of fishing. lol or better yet bag it up and use it in the spring when I have to re-seed my yard due to the drought. Getting straw is an issue here as ALL of the midwest knows. Believe it or not I am on a prayer mission asking HIM for snow, snow and more snow this winter followed by rain, rain, and more rain.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:44:52 pm by TheMelster »
GO PACK GO

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
I too put all of my dust in the garden. What seems to be a huge amount disappears rather quickly when I till in under.  There was a quy asked ma bout selling some. He said it is used in dring plets.  Have not heard from him so do not know anything further.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi