Author Topic: Ex-21 and blades  (Read 1883 times)

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Ex-21 and blades
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:03:26 am »
I am doing a lot of Steve's personalized ornaments and am finding the my blades are bending on the bottom. (I top feed)

After a dozen holes or so the blades have a bend at the bottom.  Looks like a J if you look at the side.

Using FD ultimate reverse #3.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?  I have tried to make sure that the blades are not beyond the holder in the bottom but nothing seems to make a difference.

don

tux_linux

Re: Ex-21 and blades
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:52:28 am »
kind of normal, blades always bend some when feed into the holes.

Do the blades break? If not it's fine.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:11 am »
Center you bottom set screw.  Usually, that is the problem.  I try to keep my set screw and thumb screw about even between the blade holders. 

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
julief is correct.
Blades will bend in the clamp not when feeding it through the hole.
Sometimes, I just bend it back a little.
FD Mike

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:51:02 am »
I recently had the same problem with the top blade holder bending the blades. Then I noticed the set-screw on the left side of the holder had loosened to the point that the blades were actually being pushed into the threaded hole for the set screw, not against it.  Took an allen wrench, adjusted it, and put some Loctite on the threads. No more problems.  I suspect you have the same problem.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
If it is bending front to back then it as Mike says if bending side ways adjust grub screw on left side of blade holder
Jimbo

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:39 am »
I don't recommend using loctite on your set screw.  The tip of both the set screw and the thumb screw has a small anvil that is replaceable.  When you start having problems with your blade staying tight in the clamps - those anvils will have a little wear on them and need to be replaced.

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:19:38 am »
just the simple loctite, not the "never to be dismounted again" sort of loctite.

Blades will bend in the clamp not when feeding it through the hole.

::) I bend my blades to get them through the holes. After a while the blade keeps the effect.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The blade is bending back to front (ie looks like a J from the side) not the being bent going into the side holder.  I had the bottom blade holder replaced by General as it seemed to be always loosening and he said not to use Loctite.  The service guy was fantastic and I had the holder next day. NC

I tried to straighten a couple of blades but it is tough and one just snapped.  I just lowered the blade a little bit and was able to get another couple of ornaments done.  I think it is just one of the things that I have to put up with.  I think it you just catch the blade in the holder it is better.

I am going to try a couple of Olsen 2 blades to see if it still occurs.

Thanks again

Don

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:37:36 am »
I have two suggestions on what is happening.
#1 If you are not holding the blade vertical when tightening the lower clamp it could bend when you swing the upper end into the top holder which would bend the lower end of the blade.
#2 (and probably the real reason) The swivel screw on the lower blade clamp is too tight and won't allow the clamp to swivel witch would cause the blade to bend also as in case #1.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:47:21 am »
I have two suggestions on what is happening.
#1 If you are not holding the blade vertical when tightening the lower clamp it could bend when you swing the upper end into the top holder which would bend the lower end of the blade.
#2 (and probably the real reason) The swivel screw on the lower blade clamp is too tight and won't allow the clamp to swivel witch would cause the blade to bend also as in case #1.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog

I had the same problem a while back and found #1 above to be the solution, with my old Delta saw.
I use more care now when putting my blade in the bottom clamp and haven't had the problem since.
It actually didn't hurt much to have the hocky stick bend but I think my blades last longer now.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:31:23 pm »
Don there is no solution to back to front bending as FD Mike has said, I get it most of the time from #5 blades to the finer blades, I bend them back when I cant get the blade through the hole, I use a pair of pliers, never had a blade break by doing that
Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:16:02 pm »
Update - Haven't done much scrolling this weekend as this is Thanksgiving in Canada.  Ate too much but it is nice with all the family around. 

Got a chance to cut a couple of more ornaments tonight. I have tried Olsen 2r and the same thing happened after about 8 holes so I then decided to bottom feed instead of top feeding and tightening blindly.  I have done about 20 holes and there is only a slight bend occurring. 

I am think that when I can see the blade I get it in vertical as suggestted.  I guess I'll bottom feed to save a few blades.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Don

SMF

Teknoromi