Author Topic: Take Tombo  (Read 6755 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Take Tombo
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »
This is my version of the Take Tombo. Made from Saplee and Mahogany,Baltic birch, some brass rod and dowels. The plan is by Rick Faust found over at the SSW forum. http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/off-topic/32340.htm. I built it for our woodworkers club challenge for something made of wood that can fly. In tests, the Baltic birch propeller flew about thirty feet into the air!
Oh, one more thing, I did turn the handle!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:05:02 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Take Tombo
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:10:10 pm »
Nicely done! 
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

CNLNC

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:32 pm »
Hey Dan, that turned out Awesome!. I'm sure my kid would love one of those, so I'll definetly have to try and make one, or maybe more since i'm sure they will be a hit in the neighborhood.
Thanks for sharing!

marmoh

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »
I might make a larger version to replace my broom stick ???;D ;D

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »
I might make a larger version to replace my broom stick ???;D ;D

LOL...you might get really dizzy though... ;D

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:00:19 pm »
really nice. You added some "Dan-Flavour" to this

Keep us updated on how your contest will do. And  - if I might ask for a favor - tell us what the others had in mind at "something made of wood that can fly". I think this is really a nice topic.

regards
Torsten

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:14:39 pm »
It actually is not a contest, but rather a challenge to get the members to try something they ordinarily would not do. At the meeting, we show it off, explain how it was made, and in this case demonstrate it. Each member who participates get a ticket for a special raffle for a nice woodworking tool.
I will try to remember to take my camera and take pictures.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:14 pm »
I suppose that this is a stupid queston but, does yours work?I tryed to make one using gears and it is a dud. Too much mechanical drag I think. I may try one more along the lines of yours.....If it really works.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »
Yes Roger, it really works! I tested it three times and each time the prop lifted about thirty feet into the air! I decided against the original version with the gears because it looked to complicated.
I used my pneumatic sanding drum to form the propeller and it worked very nicely, but a spindle sander will work too.

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:31 pm »
Hey Dan I was was going to ask if you made the propeller too. That looks like that would take a lot of work to get it shaped just right and balance it too. Looks really good. If you bring that over to Texas with the way the wind's been blowing lately I guarantee you it will fly more than 30 feet. You might not ever be able to find it.

Kim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:39 pm »
Hey Kim, The plan shows the shape needed, but does not explain how to do it. I made the propeller first, that way if I couldn't make it correctly, then I wouldn't bother making the rest of it. After cutting it out, it only took about twenty minutes to shape it. I drilled a hole in the center of the blade and used the tip of a pencil to check for balance and sanded as needed.
If you decide to make one, you will want to make several props in case you break one or lose it in a tree or on a roof!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:41:31 pm by dgman »

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 07:50:44 am »
Looks great fun dg.
David

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »
Nice project. It would be awesome if you could put in a small video showing how this thing looks in flight. I am pretty familiar with the more simple versions of this toy. The Bamboo Butterfly is a pretty common toy in Japan. I spent 2 years living near Nagasaki. Well thanks again for showing your nice project.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:18:13 pm »
Your Tombo looks fantastic!!!  It brings back a lot of old memories, flying those props way way back when I was a kid. Maybe I'll make one and try to re-capture my youth LOL
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
Nice project. It would be awesome if you could put in a small video showing how this thing looks in flight. I am pretty familiar with the more simple versions of this toy. The Bamboo Butterfly is a pretty common toy in Japan. I spent 2 years living near Nagasaki. Well thanks again for showing your nice project.
Unfortunately I don't have a video camera. I think I need to put in a request to Santa!

SMF

Teknoromi