Author Topic: DW788 What to do  (Read 5741 times)

lennywin

DW788 What to do
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:31 pm »
I just received my DW788 that I bought online from HD for $400.  After setting it up and doing the tuning the best I could the project jumps all over the place and won't do tight curves without knocking the project off the line.  I rechecked my setting and noticed that the blade is not square front to back, it's off by about 1/16 of an inch.  If I place a piece of wood against the back of the blade and turn the saw on, the wood jumps toward the back of the table. The fix that I read about is something I'm not willing to attempt.  Do yo think I should take it back to HD for replacement or take it to a service shop and have them do the adjustment.  Like other posts that I've read, if I use a speed over 7 and sometimes lower, it makes that knocking sound that everyone talks about and I set the tension high around 4 - 4 1/2 so it's not that. 
I was using an old Ridgid saw that cut beautifully, but I broke the top clamp.  I'm taking it to a machine shop to see if they can fabricate a new clamp.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: DW788 What to do
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:45:47 pm »
i don't have a Dewalt but just for starters if your project jumps all over the place make sure the the blade is not put in upside down.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

lennywin

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
Not upside down.  Just checked the difference again and it's 3/32" at the table surface.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »
As you say, there are fixes for the blade movement but the noise is something else. I would be inclined to take it back to HD or to a service centre and get them to fix both problems.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:38:03 pm »
I too am unhappy with my D W 788 for what i paid for this tool i expected it to work properly. I will ask my son for my cheap craftsman back. That front to back blade movement makes it impossable to cut fine fretwork. D W service rep said that amount of movement is normal.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »
Take it back to HD before it is too late.  I understand they deal in seconds.  Try Amazon for another one.  I have 2 of these saws and love, love, love both of them.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:35 pm »
The type 3 dewalts have heard there is all kinds of issues with them, when I was deciding on getting the dewalt or the excalibur I did alot of reading reviews most were unhappy with the new dewalt type 2's and wished they waited and got a EX saw. I got a EX and love it.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:15:52 pm »
Had the same problem, sent it back and the one they exchanged has the exact same problem, I find I cut a lot less now   >:(

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

lennywin

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:46 pm »
I've pretty much decided that I'm taking it and getting my money back, I'm not happy with what I'm hearing here.  It cost me $400.00, what would you suggest I get?  I'm new at this and I know I'm going to love it.  Wish I didn't brake the top clamp on my Ridgid.  Do you think I can get one fabricated someplace?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »
If you want a good one you can get the EX saw only no stand for 574 I think from seyco, thats the 16inch model I love mine its smooth, quiet and pretty much ready to go out of the box. I started with a craftsman was about 130 but lasted a year before the arm bushing worn out and its 50 bucks to get new arms with the bushings as I couldn't find any bushings to fit the arm or pivot bolt, unless go to a bearing store and find roller bearings to fit the arms and pivot bolt. But for a starter saw the craftsman did me great.

Might check your local pawnshops and craigslist for used type 1 dewalt. Also heard the porter cable for 200 is not a bad deal was well.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 09:33:07 am »
That knocking sound in the DeWalt killed mine after 20 months.  I got rid of it and bought a Hegner.  Much sturdier saw.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:09 am »
You might check Ricks Scrollsaw site as he has all kinds of info about fixing or tuning saws.  He is also a great guy and has some really good patterns.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »
Since it is new don't do any adjustments you may void the warranty.  Take it back and insist on trying out a new one in the store to save your self a trip.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

lennywin

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:46 pm »
The problem is HD doesn't stock it in the stores, it's online only.  I can't afford an EX right now and I'm already addicted to this SS stuff.  The part that kills me is that the Ridgid was really smooth and very quite with very little vibration and I bet it sold for under $200.  Any suggestions in another saw?  Looking like this isn't a poor mans hobby. :-\

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30:49 pm »
I got started in this hobby on a 130 dollar saw that did me well until I got my EX, have you searched for a replacement parts for that rigid? Ok nevermind the top clamp is NLA, or obsolete, but what I found looks close to what a craftsman blade clamp looked like, or might try other brands of saw that are close to the looks of the ridgid and see if one will work, or if you have a machine shop maybe they can make one.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-16inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602/p-00921602000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1  Here is the craftsman I have its on sale for 98 online, mine served me well, just keep the arm bushings lubed with something I put grease on mine but didn't go back and keep them greased.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_432508-46069-PCB375SS_0__?productId=50107044&Ntt=scrollsaw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscrollsaw&facetInfo=   Here is the porter cable most like it, most dislike it.

SMF

Teknoromi