Author Topic: Wood changing  (Read 1701 times)

ChuckD

Wood changing
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:53:47 pm »
Isn't it amazing how wood changes shape when you are fitting a cut out intarsia?
:( :( :(

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Wood changing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:19:43 am »
Cute, ChuckD!

I lay my pieces on wax paper and assemble one piece at a time with a LIGHT coat of wood glue on one edge of the adjoining pieces. As you continue to add pieces, the glue usually gives you enough dryiing time to adjust them on the wax paper. After the entire project is glued up tightly you can use clamps or
masking tape to keep everything in place until it is completely dry. Then you can pick the piece up, place it on your backer board and trace around it. Cut the backer board (I cut slightly inside the traced line, maybe 1/16th of an inch) and glue the finished Intarsia to the backer. Again using clamps to keep everthing tight.

Hope this may help you make  it easier and enjoy it more.
God Bless! Spirithorse

ChuckD

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:56 pm »
Thanks, I have been trying to tape them as they fit but as they change shape again I find I am useing a lot more tape until I completely lose what I was working on. 
Now this is before I start shaping the pieces, just getting rid of the gaps.  I have done a few, quite a few, and now I am just venting.  Believe it or now, I am happy most of the time with the results.  If not, no one sees it.  The idea of a touch of glue as they fit seems like a good idea.  I was also thinking rubber or even hot glue during the fitting stages.
As I finish shaping them, the final step before finish, every thing usually fits.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:18 am »
Good luck with your projects,
In my opinion, I think if you use Hot Glue, you may end up with gaps you don't want just because of
the thickness of the hot glue itself but, it may not be as noticible as I anticipate.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:52 am »
I find for some of the hard smaller parts I stack cut the pieces and then they fit better.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:38 pm »
I usually use the pot luck method, "whatever works at the time". sometimes I use a spot of glue other times I may use a small piece of doublesided tape. The end result is always the same, sand cut sand cut sand some more and voila a piece you are proud to say is your own. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
I only glue the backs of the pieces and use Titebond. I tried gluing pieces together with just a drop of glue and it didn't work out well. As long as the finished piece isn't too large, I don't glue anything until every piece is complete and has a coat of Danish oil on the top and sides.

If I'm less than perfect on my cutting (which is most of the time), I can split the difference on tiny gaps between a couple pieces and they don't show.

Ray

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
I do what Troy_Curtis said.  Stack cut adjacent pieces.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi