Author Topic: Getting Out  (Read 2330 times)

no1texan

Getting Out
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »
The writing is on the wall - trying to make Christmas ornaments for some needed cash and my scroll saw just stopped - had all the patterns, wood, and it just stopped.

I am going to sell what machines I have, scroll saw, DeWalt 788 - 12 years old - worked well until I needed it. DeWalt planer, drill press and lots of hardwood pieces.

Just wondering how is best way to do this? Add in craigslist? Live in Houston, TX

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Getting Out
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't going well.  As far as how to sell your tools and wood, Craigslist and the local newspaper would be a good start.  I just recently bought a barely used DeWalt Type 1 from Craigslist and he said he'd had quite a few calls on it.  Had to go to Canada to get it, but that's OK, I only live 1/4 mile from the border!

Hope things start looking up and you sell your items for a good price. 
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:13:50 am »
So tell me, Tex. :-\ I'm curious? what does the handwriting on the wall say? The first time something don't go quite right, throw in the towel? Not to be a pessimist, but, that seems to be easiest way out. My friend, woodworking is like anything else in life. Its going to have its trials, road blocks, set backs, etc. Ya fix the problem, brush yourself off, & go on. I don't know how long ya been scrolling, woodworking, etc., but, why dump everything you own over a problem that may be fixable? :) Trust me, I realize this time of year everyone's budget is stretched to the limit, my wife & I live on her SS & my disability every month. And that ain't much, to put it politely! I drove 35 yrs. OTR. Made good money, everything is paid for. We still have monthly expenses like everyone else. I've been off the road three years now, & have been slowly building a woodworking business. Clientele is up from last year. But I can only make so much. There again, its taken me 15 years to get this far. How is that possible, you ask? Its a LONG STORY, but I started w/nothing more than a RAS, circular saw, & a few hand tools. Being in the trucking business all my life, I had NO IDEA how to pull the trigger on those guys! I checked out books about the tools, took them with me on the road to read. Long story short, now we own 5 scroll saws, & a shop full of other wood tools. We do custom scroll work from signs to the most intricate designs folks dream up. Memorials, crosses, you name it on the scroll saw. We also do lathe work, too. And most other woodworking in the shop, as well. I am a self taught woodworker. Not bad for a damned old truck driver, huh? And since I ain't as literate w/technology as I am w/my scroll saws, my granddaughter put together a fb page with some of my projects on it, if ya care to have a look see. It's Sawdust Haven. I gave up trying to download pictures on here 8) My advice would be figure out what the problem is, fix it if possible, & move on. Then make your decision.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:48:46 am »
I'm sorry that you feel that you have to give up wood working. You must not enjoy it as well as another hobby and that is OK. To each his own and everyone enjoys some sort of hobby and that is good.
My neighbor spends his time playing golf, which is defiantly not my cup of tea, and doesn't know walnut from pine. We were talking one day and got off on to how much money is spent on our hobbies.......Let's just not go there now!
I would suggest that if there is a wood working club or if you know someone else that is into wood working, go ask if they would be interested in buying your equipment or helping you to dispose of it.
My very good friend, neighbor and fellow wood worker died a few years ago and I helped his widow with an advertised "wood working tool" yard sale. We got rid of most of his tools (I even bought some of them) in a Saturday afternoon.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »
Hi again,  I just had a thought about your saw....it could be nothing more than the switch.  I always use foot pedals, not only because they're easier to use, but also, the switch in the saw wears out quite quickly.  Or sometimes there's just a short in it, and sometimes it comes on and other times it doesn't.  Same can be said for the foot pedal.  Two really quick and easy fixes.

Also, do you know someone with a saw that you could use to finish your projects?  Scrollers are usually really willing to help.  Seems a shame to just give up so easily.

Just my thoughts,
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:35 pm »
Hi no1texan. It is the saw of averages..oops! sorry...It is the law of averages that something will go wrong when you are really busy. I have had similar things happen to me. I bought a brand new lathe 6 months ago, I am now on my 4th motor and 4th switch (soon to be 5th switch when i report it broken again) In between all of this I had customer orders for a number of my pens. The customers were understanding when I explained the situation to them.

Like the rest of the replies say, don't give up so easily, things will work themselves out.

Dave

I am now looking for any new machinery I buy to not be made in China,

My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 05:49:47 pm »
no1texan:

I concur with the posts above - don't give up so easily IF you truly enjoy scrolling!  Once you get rid of the tools, they are usually too hard to get again if you change your mind.

See if you can fix the saw first.

I wish you the best.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi