Author Topic: UK based - sanding advice  (Read 2348 times)

Stooby

UK based - sanding advice
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:04:42 am »
Hello,
I am new to instarsia, on my 3rd project through the Kathy Wise book for beginners.

I'm finding the frustration I am sure is 100% common - sanding! It takes ages.

Kathy uses a sanding mop, seems to be the Sandflea Mop which I can buy from 1 supplier in the UK but quite expensive.

Would this be a good buy? What level of correction do they do on marks from heaview sanding and shaping sanding?

Also what final effect will they leave, scratch free or needing further hand sanding?

It seems to come in various grits so what would you advise. And finally they come in various diameter, what would I need?

I am looking at this site if it helps:

http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=290_292&products_id=1288&osCsid=v189f45d5tchle88utg4te3g22

Thanks.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: UK based - sanding advice
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:18 am »
Sanding mops are expensive but a great investment.  They last a very long time and when they wear out, you just replace the sanding paper.  I don't know the currency exchange so I don't know if that is a good buy or not.  You do not have to buy Sand Flea brand mops.  I have a sand flea but my mops have come from other places.  I have even made a couple.  I use a 220 grit to finish most pieces and there are no scratches.  It polishes the wood extremely well.

Stooby

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
I have tried the silverline mops. They are made of nylon I think. They do now seem to do anything but polish wood so are no good at all. I have tried a flap wheel but is as rough as my other Sanders. The US mops look good but the only ones I can find in the UK are the and flea mops.
What things would I need to make my own? Can anyone give a link to the right kind of mandrel or arbure (hope I ask using the right words) especially if uk based sites?
Also do I need a certain kind of sand paper? I have paper backed but do I need fabric backed?

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
I do not use a sanding mop. (It sets in my drawer)  I shape the pieces with a pneumatic drum sander mounted in my drill press for shaping and a hand held sanding sponge for final sanding.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Stooby

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:13:24 am »
Hi Jim, a numatic sander is another thing I can't find in the UK, not sure I have room in my shed either.

Offline trailfndr

• View Profile
    • Lee's Wood Artistry
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:31 am »
A Sanding mop is PRICELESS for Intarsia.  I shape each piece with a drum sander going from 120 grit, and following with a drum of 220 grit, and then each piece gets the mop. It is extremely rare for me to pick up a piece of sandpaper to hand sand anything.  I use a 220 grit mop and I will NOT do intarsia without it ever again.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:02 am »
Greetings,
You can get accessories that fit on a drill press like a drum sander.
I use a combination of a 1" belt sander, the drum sander sleeves,
a palm sander, and hand sanding.
Here are some links just to show you examples. Not meant to advertise
for Harbor Freight, just examples of tools you may find in the UK.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=drum+sander

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=belt+sander

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=finish+sander

Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:35:08 pm »
I have several sanding mops of various grits that I use on my Drill Press.  Some of them I made cutting strips of sandpaper and stacking them on a stove bolt.

SMF

Teknoromi