Author Topic: Grain direction selection  (Read 1026 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
Grain direction selection
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »
Other than using the wood grain to enhance the project, what criteria should be used to select grain direction with any pattern? When cutting fretwork small pieces seem to go all directions with, across, and diagonal to the grain. What should be used to select the best direction?

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Grain direction selection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:53 pm »
I try to pay priority to those areas that require the most strength then I look for aesthetic value next.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:13:29 pm »
I tend to run the grain with the longest dimension of the pattern. Example if the cutting is 8" x 10", I make sure that the grain runs in the 10" direction. It is not for strength, it just looks better to me. I doubt that a pattern would be any stronger or less apt to break regardless of grain direction on most cuttings.
It doesn't matter if the grain is vertical or horizontal it can still crack almost anyplace in the cutting but, I just think for aesthetic value it looks better in the longer dimension.

Rog   
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
Most of my work has a backer so I only use grain direction to enhance the project, not for structural support. I usually do like Roger and run the grain in the direction of the longest side, but some projects look better with the grain running the short side.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

SMF

Teknoromi