Author Topic: Foot Pedal on Makita SJ401?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
Foot Pedal on Makita SJ401?
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:34:21 am »
I own a Makita SJ401 Scroll saw and I was wondering if it is possible to use a foot pedal for this model.

Does anyone know if the rheostat switch would would stop me from using a pedal switch?

http://www.superiorvalueproducts.com/Makita-Scroll-Saw-Variable-Speed-SJ401_p_326.html

I look forward to your replies.

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Foot Pedal on Makita SJ401?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 06:43:36 am »
I don't know why not.  I have a EX-21 and it is variable speed and comes with a foot petal.  The dead man version in that you have to keep your foot on it.

I have a couple of tap on tap off from Harbor Freight and tried on the EX-21 but preferred to original.  I like the other ones on my Dremel and my sanding mop. 

If you get the Makita I would appreciate a review.  Makita usually makes great equipment and this price is right.

Don

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:39:32 am »
I use the on/off switch from Harbor Freight on my DeWalt without a problem.  In fact, it has stopped the problems with the switch clogging up with sawdust.  I can't sit with my feet on the floor so added the switch to the side of my stand and it works with a knee bump.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »
I have a "dead man" foot switch on my De Walt saw, and I covered the regular on/off switch with packing tape to keep the saw dust out of it.
I like the instant on and off just by moving my foot and can use both hands to control the work piece.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be hunting for a foot pedal right away.

Don....When I get some more experience on the saw, I will write you a review. I own a number of power tools that are Makita and if the scroll saw is as good as them then it will be a nice addition to my tool chest.

Thanks Kepy for the idea of using it as a knee switch. It sounds a great idea for keeping the floor uncluttered.

I will be doing the same as you Rog by covering the switch to protect it from the dust. Cheers mate.

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:59:39 pm »
Dave the foot pedal will work fine on the Makita, but I'm sure you are aware of that by now.

Don in Brooklyn...This Makita saw is a very popular model and has been sold under many different manufacturers names. I actually have the exact same saw that I bought several years ago off of Craigslist for a very low price, well below $100.00. I have seen so many different off brand manufacturers names stuck on this particular saw that I really don't know who the actual manufacturer is. I think it might be Makita, but I am not positive my saw has the name PowerTech on it and the saw is painted yellow.

With that said, it is a decent saw but it does have some drawbacks. Blade changing requires the blade changing rod tool (like the old Deltas use) and an Allen wrench which can be very cumbersome and makes for slow blade changes. If this is your first saw and you haven't used other scroll saws, it's fine but if you are used to easy blade changing, it will be frustrating for you. I used this saw for two years when I first started scrolling and made some great projects with it. I still have it as a back-up in case my EX gets a headache. If you live in a larger area, I'm sure you could find one on Craigslist w/o too much trouble for a decent price.

Bob

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:09:07 am »
Hi Bob, Yes, I have worked out that a foot pedal will work with the Makita saw. I have been trying to find one in Adelaide, but I think I might need to go further afield.

I managed to download the manual for the saw and after reading it, I realised that the blade changing tool was needed to change the baldes. Unfortunately, it never came with the saw when my brother gave t to me. I have asked him to see if he can put his hands on it.

Thanks for your reply mate.

Dave.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 10:57:00 am »
Dave, I never had the tool with my saw either I just stuck an awl or Phillips screwdriver through the hole. You could also use pliers or an adjustable wrench to hold the blade holder while you loosen the set screw.

Like I said Dave, I used mine like this for two years. Once you get a rhythm to changing the blades it's not a big deal, it just takes a little more time than my EX does. When you get a chance I would pick up some extra 4mm Allen set screws from a hardware store, the ones on the saw do tend to wear out after awhile and become difficult to loosen.

Bob

SMF

Teknoromi