Author Topic: Basic Intarsia Video Series  (Read 1864 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Basic Intarsia Video Series
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
Hi All,

Al (Intarsia92) has been a huge inspiration to me, the Intarsia that he post on the Intarsia board is always stunning. The big problem though was, it always intimidated me, and kept me from trying Intarsia because I knew I could never do it as well as he does. Than it dawned on me one day "I don't need to do it as good as Al, I just need to do it!". I started emailing Al and picking his brain and he was always willing to share his knowledge with me, which I can never thank him enough for.

I took his advice and fit it into my way of doing things (and the tools I had available) and finally came up with a hybrid Al/ Bob version of making intarsia. Even though I will still never be able to create Intarsia pieces like Al does, I'm comfortable with what I do make.

A year ago I started making some videos of the hybrid process, but never finished them, recently I watched them again and said what the heck. I finished them and thought I would share them with you. I made it 6 parts because there is a lot of info to go over, and I guess sometimes I can get a bit long winded. Hopefully, after watching the videos, some of you will try Intarsia that might not have before. I will warn you though, once you try it, it's hard to stop.

Here is the link to the full playlist of all the videos, I would highly suggest a good stiff drink before watching them though! :) Oh...almost forgot, there is a pattern of the Sea Shell if you would like to make one here: http://www.scroll-saw-forum.com/2014/02/make-basic-intarsia-sea-shell-scroll.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FH7jJNqco&list=PLBB0Vuj1VeTArxq8WDCooy_NslqpXxmNw

Bob

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:39:05 pm by TripleB »

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Intarsia Video Series
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:51 pm »
Bob,
GREAT job on the videos!
I thoroughly enjoyed watching every one in succession and liked how you did them and explained what and how to do all of the various steps. 
I doubt that I'll do any intarsia in the near future but, I got a lot out of the videos and if I decide to try it, you can bet your boots I'll watch all of them again as a refresher.
I subscribed to your blog so, I hope you will do more videos in the future. I'll be sure to watch them and maybe hope you do some on other types of scrolling too.  ;)  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

lennywin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
I just finished watching your intro video and I have to tell you your work is beautiful and I can't wait to watch the series and get to work.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:01:15 am »
OK Bob, I just watched the whole thing.  Good job.  I, like you, was inspired to do my first intarsia by Al.  The phenominal work he does is intimidating and inspiring.  Now, we have Linda's work to look at, too.  The tutorial was very good.  I use a little of Kathy Wise's methods, a little of Al's methods a few of my own and now will add Bob to my list of instructors.  A few years ago, there was a tutorial in, I believe, Scrollsaw woodworking and crafts on intarsia that used a tree frog pattern.  It always amazes me to see everybody's take on the same pattern.  We all see things differently and have our own vision of a pattern.  You are right - there is no right or wrong way to do it. 

A couple of years ago, Steve had a competition of sorts on a mug made of wood.  Again, the different takes on the project was enjoyable.  We ought to do that with an intarsia project as insentive to give it a try for those who haven't yet.  Just a thought.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:17:56 pm »
Roger: Thanks for the great post and subscribing to my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I already have quite a few scroll saw related videos at my blog and YouTube channel. I still have lots of ideas for more to come. Here's a link to my YouTube Channel to make it easier. https://www.youtube.com/user/ScrollSawForumVids

Lenny: Your Welcome, Your Welcome, Your Welcome   :)

Julie: Thanks, I agree Linda is top notch as well, her work is beautiful. As for an inspirational Intarsia project/ competition...The shell is easy for any one to do. I attached the pattern for it and I would love to see what everyone can do with it. And the winner will receive?, The satisfaction of doing Intarsia I guess ;).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:58:34 pm by TripleB »

Becky

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »
Well, I didn't mean to watch all of those videos straight through but I just finished the last one!  I have done a little segmentation and have been tempted to try intarsia (also inspired by Al's work) but have also felt intimidated - mostly by the sanding and my assumptions about needing fancy, specialized sanding equipment.  I didn't want to invest a lot in equipment and find I didn't have the skill or, as sometimes happens, the desire to pursue it.  I guess you busted that particular myth though.   ;)

I also appreciated you being imperfect with that cut and showing how to fix it.  I expect I'd be imperfect more than just a little.  A question about that while I am thinking about it.  You said you cut outside the line.  Do you mean on the outside edge or is there an actual space between the line and your blade.

I have a couple of things on the top of my to-do list but I do think I might just take a stab at your shell.  One more question though...you said in the video that you bought your sanding pads as a kit.  Was it from Klingspor or someplace else?  Can you share a link for the kit?  That way I can get it ordered and have it when I am ready to give it a try.  I think even simple intarsia projects would make awesome gifts because even the relatively simple ones LOOK hard.  If they didn't, the idea of doing it probably wouldn't be so intimidating.

Dang.  Now I am even MORE anxious for spring to arrive!

Spartan scroller

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:06 am »
so where did you get that nifty little disc sanding kit tripe B? Can it be ordered?

Terry

terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline BeginnerJerry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »
Triple B,
Great job on the Video. I also watched it all at once and then watched all your other videos the next night.
Like Rapid Roger, I also subscribed to your blog. Thanks for putting them out for us to learn.
Jerry

Becky

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
I hate to speak for Bob but he doesn't seem to be speaking for himself.  I think I have found the kit he talks about in his videos.  http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fr70000/

I hope that's right because it is what I ordered.  It arrived yesterday.  It comes with the two pads and 10 packs of sandpaper.  Each pack contains 10 pieces.  The grits are 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 320 and 400.

I'm not sure when I will give the project a try, especially since I haven't managed to produce that fish thing yet.  At least I'll have it when I am ready.

I also got a refill for my sanding mop.  It must be time to get a refill when little pieces start flying off the one you're using.   :)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:46 am »
Great Job BBB!  I watched the first and will watch the others at work during downtime.  I also subscribed to your channel.  Hope we can get together again soon.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi