Author Topic: Whirligig question  (Read 3167 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Whirligig question
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:17 am »
Years ago I made several whirligigs.  They were cute, and I am thinking of making some again and I still have my patterns.  The only problem is that the Florida sun and humidity did them in in a relatively few years.  It is hard on both the paint and the wood.  What would you guys recommend for materials and paint to give them a longer life?
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Whirligig question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:28 am »
I like DecoArt Patio Paint for outdoor products. It is formulated to have a long life outdoors and stands up well to the elements.  It comes in a great range of colors and is water based so there is no smell and clean up is easy. The cost is also reasonable.  It is available at most craft places like Michael's, JoAnn's Fabrics and crafts and online at the DecoArt website.  Below is the link to their page for more information:

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Patio_Paint

I really love the stuff and I think it is just the thing you are looking for! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:23:12 am »
In addition to Sheila's advice, you might want to use a more water resistant wood like Ceder or Redwood or Finnish plywood. The Finnish plywood is just like Baltic Birch but with waterproof glues.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:01 am »
I just finished a "Whirligig" last week. I got some "Yard & Garden" acrylic paint at Hobby Lobby made by "Anita's". It is water based also. Two coats and then sprayed a top coat of polyurethane clear over the paint. I have no idea how well it will hold up as I've never used it before. I may never know as it is a gift to a fundraising auction.  ;D

Rog

P.S. I cut my project from construction grade plywood. 3/4" for the main part and 1/4" for the wings. May be another problem for me.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:35:46 am by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
Uh...stainless steel and marine paint?

sorry, my smarta$$ got loose again!  ::)

I agree with Dan on the Cedar or Redwood.  Another option is pressure treated if you work with it safely.  They don't use arsenic anymore, but it still should be handled carefully.  Marine grade paint will hold up well, but nothing will hold up long term against mother nature!  Good luck Bill!

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:15 am »
 I like Apple Barrel Gloss for outside projects, whicj I get a Micheals.   The weather does play a big part on them, I hade mine for a couple of years before the weather gets to them. I bring them in  in the winter time. Sometimes I have to adjust the  moving parts.  Edward

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:20:08 am »
Some good ideas guys, thanks.  No redwood here, but I might be able to score some cypress.  Winters are mild here, it's the summers that rot the wood and cook the paint.  Glen, good idea on the steel but I only have woodworking tools, no plasma cutter yet?  Hmmm, maybe I should rethink that :P
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi