Author Topic: Thinking about trying something new (to me)!  (Read 2501 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Thinking about trying something new (to me)!
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:19 pm »
 ::)
I've never tried the 'airbrush' techniques before and I am thinking of venturing into yet another aspect of "HOBBYism"!

Any advice, direction, hints, suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated as per usual.

Since this is a 'trial' thing, what should i invest in the way of equipment. I have a larger compressor with a regulator so I guess I could use that for the air source. (Yes, No, Maybe?) If it works out I will surely buy an 'airbrush' compressor for mobility.

What else do I need and what brands do I look for?

Thanks for any and all assistance!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dustyknees

Re: Thinking about trying something new (to me)!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:21:05 pm »
Hi Greybeard..I have dabbled in Airbrushing,but not much..I know that Harborfreight carries a number of supplies..http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=airbrush ,let us know how it goes,who knows,I may do some myself:-)..Jon

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
I have the one from harbor freight ($10.00) for two years no problems. You will have to regulate the pressure down (max 50 psi) normal operating pressure 25 psi. Two most important things. #1 The paint has to be thin, I use spraying thinner. #2 The paint has to be clean, I use pieces of my wifes old nylon stockings to strain the paint. Other than that have fun and learn. Practice, Practice, Practice.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

northie66

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »
Are airbrushes loud when they are running?

redneck_inc

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:41 pm »
noise all depends on air source ( tank,  can or compresor ) i used to put my airbrush compresor outside when i was using it to keep noise down

mouse

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 03:25:25 am »
Hi GreyBeard,
Basically if you just want to slap a coat of finish on an item any airbrush will do the job. If you want to be able to paint or do finer work then you need to go upmarket. Most of the ones sold for painting fingernails/tanning etc are quite good.
There are dozens on ebay, a full kit (compressor,brush,regulator,hose etc) in the mid range will set you back about $75-150
I have 2 airbrushes,one mid range and one high spec, with a dedicated compressor for normal to fine work. I also use a touch-up gun, which is about 1/3 size of of a normal spray gun that runs off the workshop compressor for larger work.
Water based paints/finishes (Acrylics) are much easier to use and clean up.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:13:21 am »
HI Mouse!
I think I will do a bit more reading and research before making the jump.
I like the idea of acrylics simply because of the solvent situation. I have enough stuff that has to be cleaned with mineral spirits, alcohol and lacquer thinner.
Any 'brand' names I should be aware of as being 'good' or 'less than great'?

Will keep all posted!

My Thanks to all you wonderful and helpful folks!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:52 am »
I use an airbrush from Harbor Freight also. I just use it to put finish on and it works great! The airbrush only cost me $12.00

mouse

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:51:58 am »
I use "Golden Opaque Airbrush Acrylic Colours" The are very high in pigment and a little goes a very long way.They are made in the USA and come in 1fl/oz screw top dropper bottles.They can be easily mixed, and Golden make various additives
Here is a good place to start your reading
http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:49 am »
Badger http://www.badgerairbrush.com/ makes a nice range of air brushes as does
http://www.paascheairbrush.com/

I have used them both and like them both equally well..
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 01:06:40 pm »
If you are just spraying a coat of paint and or clear finish then the Habor Freight will do fine. If you will be trying all aspects of an airbrush (adding lines, designs etc) then move up to a Badger or Paashe. Don't mess with the double action unless you intent to use for painting as an artist. The single action will handle most all normal requirements.
Bill

SMF

Teknoromi