Author Topic: Up-Date on NOT USING PAINTERS TAPE.... :+}  (Read 4130 times)

Graywolf

Re: Up-Date on NOT USING PAINTERS TAPE.... :+}
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:15 am »
Here at Home Depot I get Green painters tape then use glue sticks from the $ store, the packing on top of the pattern. Works great for me.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »
I bought some avery full sheet labels number 48165 at wally world got 10 sheets for 4.44, tried one on a project, worked good, printed good was for laser and ink jet, these labels are for two kinds of printers not sure how well it would work to get ones for laser and use a ink jet. It stuck down good, did not even try to peel off lift up.

I tried at first to just peel it off, it worked to a point then started to leave some sticky back behind, I got a old hair dryer put it on low heat with a low fan speed and heated up the top or where the pattern was printed and it peeled right off, no residue left behind. You have had too much heat thus melting the glue, rather than heat it up and making it soft to let it release, think I may try to order some more in a bigger pack from amazon. I did also notice that some of these labels are marked as permanent and reviews do say once they stick they are stuck and do not come off, making sure where you want them when before you stick them down.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »
I use Elmer's glue stick from the dollar store on the back of my pattern.  Then cheap packing tape over pattern so the blade doesn't burn.  No problem.  Sometimes the pattern comes up but I just put a little more glue stick on it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 09:32:31 pm »
I bought some avery full sheet labels number 48165 at wally world got 10 sheets for 4.44, tried one on a project, worked good, printed good was for laser and ink jet, these labels are for two kinds of printers not sure how well it would work to get ones for laser and use a ink jet. It stuck down good, did not even try to peel off lift up.

I tried at first to just peel it off, it worked to a point then started to leave some sticky back behind, I got a old hair dryer put it on low heat with a low fan speed and heated up the top or where the pattern was printed and it peeled right off, no residue left behind. You have had too much heat thus melting the glue, rather than heat it up and making it soft to let it release, think I may try to order some more in a bigger pack from amazon. I did also notice that some of these labels are marked as permanent and reviews do say once they stick they are stuck and do not come off, making sure where you want them when before you stick them down.

I find the same thing to be true with the double sided tape (carpet tape) also.
I buy my carpet tape from Ace hardware and the "Ace" brand has two grades of carpet tape. One grade is marked "Heavy duty" and once it is put down, it DOESN'T  want to let go and can be very problematic in trying to separate two pieces of wood.
The other grade is "Light duty" with a plastic backing (which its what I use the most) and while it does hold things together (as far as scroll sawing goes) it releases fairly easy. If there is a problem, a little heat from a hair dryer usually solves the problem.
I guess what I'm trying to say is "The best" isn't always what works best for a given job. Sometimes a lesser grade is more desirable in certain circumstances.
I find the same to be true with the blue painters tape. Brand can make a difference, I've used 3M brand for years and never had a problem with making it stick where I want it to but, still have not had a problem with it not realising or tearing the wood when it needs to be removed.
I have heard that time does make a difference though. If it is in place for a week or more, it will tend to be harder to remove as the story goes. I wouldn't know about that because I've never let it set for more than a day or two on my scrolling projects.

Rog
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:41:58 pm by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline ekud1946

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 12:57:38 pm »
Been using painter's tape for years, never had a problem.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
Hi Rog. I've used the various colors of masking tape to mask off areas for protection. My experience, based on the painters recommendation was that the green variety is readily removable for well into the foreseeable future (weeks), but logically, has the least adhesion. The white is the worst as if left for a couple of days removal may be problematic and require a combination of heat and spirits. The blue tape has the best adhesive properties and can be removed for far into the future (weeks). Personally, I use the green tape. Cheers, Barry.

Becky

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 10:30:45 pm »
Seems like you either pay for the tape or pay for the labels.  I buy tape because it works well for me and because I don't have to drag the hair dryer out into the shop (or the project to the bathroom) to get it off.  I have indeed pulled off a few wood fibers but that has never resulted in anything noticeable on the finished project.  Get get stacks of about 5 rolls of tape for about $15 at the box store.  Lasts for a good couple of years.  On a per day or per project basis, that's still pretty cheap.

What I don't like is the brands of spray adhesive available of late.  It's probably different from place to place but the only ones I can find lately are really wet.  I am pretty sure I am not using more than I used to but, even letting it sit for a while before putting it on my (taped) wood, I still seem to end up with it all over my finger tips.  They also seem to make the paper so wet it becomes somewhat translucent, making it harder to see the pattern lines. 

I might try a glue stick but am a little worried that I would miss spots here and there and then the pattern will lift when I am cutting them.  Do they come in colors so you can see if you have full coverage?  Or how else do you know?  Any tips from the glue stick users out there?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:45 am »
I have a extra hair dryer that was laying around to use on mine, the problem I have with the glue is either it lifts up or I get too much and it soaks into the paper, I also found the less is in the can the more spotty it becomes and starts to spit out the can and spots the pattern. Using the sticky sheets you can print right on it, then stick it down and not worry about the glue. Might be able to pick up a cheap hair dryer at a discount store or dollar general even or even at the thrift store to use in the shop. If you haven't tried the sticky sheets yet becky, you should at least try one, I was skeptical about them myself until I bought a cheap pack of them and tried it, now I like them. Will keep the tape and glue for small patterns but full sheet patterns they work good.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
Good morning Becky. With four grandkids glue, glue sticks and poster paper are fixtures in our house and found in abundance. I've found using glue sticks that there may be "lumps" in the glue and unless one takes pains in smoothing out the pattern (i.e., using an old credit or cash card) I could well imagine when cutting a pattern running into a lump of glue. Any confirmation on that? Cheers, Barry.

SMF

Teknoromi