Author Topic: Baltic Birch Ply Scroll Saw Shell  (Read 2637 times)

Offline ALWAYS SCROLLING

• View Profile
Baltic Birch Ply Scroll Saw Shell
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:55 pm »
This is the latest addition to my Scroll Saw Collection. I was curious about what would happen when you used larger pieces for the wedges. This Shell is made of ?? Baltic Birch Ply. I cut the material to 6.5? x 10?. I then stacked and glued 4 of these ?? pieces together to create the boards needed for the wedges. I made 3 sets of these with an objective to create 6 wedges. Once the glue was dry I trimmed the ends and edges square. I cut the wedges on the band saw and then sanded the cut faces flat. Of the 6 available wedges I used 5 for this shell which produced 61 segments and are shown in one of the available photos. I included additional photos to show the cut and gluing stages. Wedge #6 was not wasted in that it became the stand for the shell and still needs finish applied. The finish is a number of coats of gloss Tung Oil and additional coats may still be applied. This is a large Shell and the overall size measures out at 9.5? wide by 9? high. Thanks for looking. Due to photo sizes, will do another posting with additional photos.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Baltic Birch Ply Scroll Saw Shell
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »
That is absolutely gorgeous!!!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:54 pm »
That came out great.  Thanks for sharing this with us. 

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 04:23:18 pm »
G'Day..... You have made a great job of the shell. Well done!!

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »
Beautiful project! I really like it and need to find out how to cut one of those.
Isn't plywood a fun wood to use for a different look? I had some old 3/4" ply from the days before there were so many voids in it. I have made several things out of it over the years.
I have bowls, vases, coasters and a lot of things that make people ask about them.

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline ALWAYS SCROLLING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:15:21 pm »
Many thanks for the great comments. Rapid Roger, Ply is  a lot of fun to work with. I like to use Baltic Birch Ply due to the limited and smaller number of voids. The Shell only had about 3 and all were less than 1/8" in size. In the process of completing another Ply shell. Will post when complete.

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:43:10 am »
I like this shell even more than the previous blue one you posted. The amount of pieces making up this item is quite staggering.

SMF

Teknoromi