Author Topic: Reverend Homer  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Reverend Homer
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

rob roy

Re: Reverend Homer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »
I could watch that all day Gabby. Any chance we could have a go at rustling him Gabby ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Rob Roy.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:39:12 am »
JW must be a part of his diet.
Frustration is the food of invention.

rob roy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:09 am »
Hi Iggy, are you referring to the horse or Gabby. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::).
Rob Roy.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:54 am »
Since he ran and hid he must have been referring to me scardy cat!
I would love to steal him but I don't know if I could even get a leg over the saddle anymore.
Sure would be fun to try though, You can ride a horse like that all day and never get sore.
They have clocked the fastest ones at around 30 mph I don't remember the exact number.

The horse I'm sitting on in my mugshot photo is a Paso Fino and they share the same gait
and they have some that could probably give Homer a run for his money Look up "Andadura" with google
or whatever search engine you prefer. Most of what you will find are run in Puerto Rico and believe it or not they run them flat shod on pavement, without a saddle and no safety gear! Man they fly!
The Paso's are small horses most of them under 1000# and less than 14 hands tall. (A hand is 4 inches)
Homer is around 15 1/2 to 16 hands to give you some perspective. Often the riders in P.R. weigh around 200#.
On a trail the Paso's can carry a full grown man all day and return fresh, mine could!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:04:10 am »
A question for you Gabby. Is the horse's gait natural or does it take a lot of training to get him/her to run like that?. Much the same as the trotting horses.
I would assume they are trained???.
Rob Roy.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:25 am »
A question for you Gabby. Is the horse's gait natural or does it take a lot of training to get him/her to run like that?. Much the same as the trotting horses.
I would assume they are trained???.
Rob Roy.

I know for a fact the Paso Fino babies will gate from the start and I suspect those running walkers like Homer do as well they do take some training to make them really reach out and fly but so do any race horse Gallop, Trot or Pace. Look up the Icelandic horses they share the gate and are even smaller than the Pasos and they call the gate the Tolt, and they can fly too.
It is an extended four beat gate actually the same thing as a horses walk pushed to its limit, the Tennessee Walker
is included in this group as are a few others not as famous.
The main thing about it is the smoothness as felt by the rider if you watch Homer again watch the shoulders and top of the riders head. It travels without hardly any up and down movement and the smoother the better. I've ridden my horse Canto all day and we were both fresh at the end of the day since we aren't jarring or being jarred which is what takes its toll on horse and rider!  The Spanish brought a now extinct breed called the Jennet (Skip to America), which was developed as a pleasure mount for ladies and later used by their cavalry because they would ride all day while wearing their armor and this was much more comfortable than riding a trot with all that hardware bouncing around and wearing holes in your hide.Talk about torture! To America to breed with the other animals they had brought along for riding and packing, they evolved into the Paso Fino and the Peruvian Paso which is normally coarser and larger and has a winging action (paddling) in front which I don't approve of due to the fact their shoulders and elbows can break down and are suseceptable to arthritis and other problems. The name Paso Fino means fine walk or fine step as in Spanish they turn things around when they say it. The language teachers on here can supply the name for that.
A simple search will bring you hours of entertainment including videos and instruction while looking at some really beautiful animals, so have at it, I'm through being the know it all for today.
Enjoy folks,
Gabby
Heh, you might jump to the conclusion old Gabby likes horses, yessireee Bob!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:13:47 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi