Author Topic: Sooo, How Does One Learn How  (Read 1926 times)

pddesertrat

Sooo, How Does One Learn How
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:22:33 pm »
How does on learn to make patterns?  I see pattern requests here often and there are some great patterns in response.  I'm just wondering how you go about it.  Is there softwear for it or something?  I can see where it would it would be nice to be able to do and probably fun.  Especially with family pictures and such. 

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo, How Does One Learn How
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »
well as for the software a lot us us use a combination of Gimp and Inkscape both free to download, so you may start there
there are many tutorials, Steve himself has some and there is a very good series over at the scroll saw village
other than that I know that Ray (EIEIO) and Pete (JRPETEO) have some written versions, I am sure when they come on they will post them for you.
after that just  try and ask
and dont forget " The only stupid question is the one that was never asked"
have fun
Dave

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:10:28 pm »
Here's my version of something that was originally from a magazine forum. I simplified it and updated it for current versions of Gimp & Inkscape. Everyone has their own way of doing things, this works for me. It took me a couple weeks to get my first usable portrait pattern, and I was a little familiar with graphics programs, Photoshop & CAD. Maybe you'll sit down and just "get it" right away.
You might read through this thread too, just for kicks. http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=12339.0 
Good luck!
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:01 am »
I have the Inkscape tutorial that Scrollzilla had posted on a closed forum where many of us were members.  I would be glad to get that posted, but I'll need some suggestions.  The compressed folder size is 155MB - much too large to send in an email or post here.  Any ideas of how and where to upload to make available to others?

Scrollzilla had posted these graphics and videos and made available for free so I'm sure there would be no problem in reposting them somewhere.

Ken

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
hi Ken I would be pleased to see this.
As for uploading, if you use google then you can upload to your google drive and then attach to an email, other tan that maybe one of the computer boffins will have another answer when they come along
Dave

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
Hi desertrat, I for one, am  a cutter.  Any time I can, I cut.  There are many, many designs out there and if by chance, you can't find what you want, ask for it.  I have many times and no one has refused me yet..  Sometimes you may have to spend a couple of bucks to buy what you need but that is money well spent.  We gots to keep our designer going.  The time it takes to learn to design, afterwards you use what you learned, takes away your cutting time.  So that is your choice.  Me, as I said, I prefer to cut....What ever you do, Good Luck..:( :) :( :)

Rover2

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:54:26 pm »
I too would like to make my own patterns and am interested in this thread.  Cutting is what it is all about but when you can design and cut your own ideas is something that would make one feel like they really did something special.  Plus, you could be one of the designers that would be able to help someone who wants to do nothing but cut.  One of these days or weeks, I will find the time to sit down and really get into the whole designing thing.  I have dabbled with it and have come up with some projects but not even close to the wonderful work  the designers on this site have done. More power to you for wanting to make your own designs and I wish you the best of luck.
(Thank you to all designers for helping us all. :) :) :))  Al

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:44 pm »
Here is Scrollzilla's (Rick Gray) YouTube channel. Good video's for working with Inkscape.
Pete

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w0b0yeFjc8v5bo3lhYNHw
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

SMF

Teknoromi