Author Topic: Dewalt DW788  (Read 10879 times)

texasgkb

Dewalt DW788
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:42:27 am »
I've been seeing great reviews on the DW788. I'll be trying to buy one in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of the "best" deal? So far the best deal I've ran across is $569.00.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Dewalt DW788
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
Be sure to check <amazon.com> and all the tool sites that sell Refurbished and Recertified tools.
I too am looking to 'upgrade' but it will be a while. Just mised out on an 'almost new' 788 on craigslist for $300!!! :-\

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

elp48

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:26 am »
Hey,
I found that Max Tools in California has the DW 788 for $489.99. You might want to check out their site at maxtools.com
I got my stand and light from them and had great service.
Hopes this helps,
Evan

Ron

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:53 am »
That looks like a good price if it includes the stand. Amazon & Northern tool both have it under $500 with free freight, but that price dosn't include a stand, which would add another $72.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:20 am »
Grizzly.com has the 788 for 469.95 and it includes the stand and light.

Dan

Curt

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:35 am »
I started with what I thought was a good saw.  I bought a Hitachi at low's it died in two months,,I returned it and got another and it died in one month. I think they have a bunch of faulty on/off shitches...Well I bought the Excalibur EX-21 and could not be more satisfied.  If the bbudget allows take a look at the EX-21.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:01:14 pm »
I have always heard good things about grizzley service. Only ever ordered from them once but it was a positive experience. I would look there.

scrollsawmaniac

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »
I recently purchased my DW788 with a stand through Amazon.com for $570.64. The DW788 was $498.78 and the stand was $71.65, plus I got free shipping at the time.

texasgkb

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:38 pm »
Thanks all. I, too, bought the Hitachi CW40 at Lowe's as well as the 1 year service plan they offer. In the first year I did 3 trade ins due to the switch (bought a foot pedal since then) and noise. I'm on my fourth and it's going strong. Since I've seen Steve's videos on the Dewalt I've been looking into one of those. I'll check those sites everyone. The one I found is at toolking.com and does include the light and stand. Thanks! By the way...Lowe's has done away with the Hitachi (go figure) and replaced it with the Porter Cable scroll saw. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the two.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:30:38 pm by texasgkb »

Marshall

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »
I agree with Dan and Grizzly's is no doubt the best place to buy the Dewalt Model 788 .........for the the money ...I have brought a lot of the shop big tools from here and I'm happy with the out come ....Marshall

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »
Grizzly has them for $469.  Includes stand and light  Right now.  That is where I purchased mine several years agog.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:04:17 pm »
I just recently upgraded to the Dewalt 788, I purchased mine on 3-24-2010 from amazon.com for 498.99 that included free shipping. Already had my own stand and didnt need to purchase one. My precious scroll saw was a craftsman that lasted for many years. The first time i turned on my Dewalt and started cutting, I was grinning like a brand new dad. Someone asked me how did I like it, I replied that it was like driving a new cadillac. Only broke a few blades so far, but I'm very pleased with my Dewalt. Low vibration, very quiet, easy to change blades are some of the perks of the Dewalt. Hope you enjoy your new saw as I do mine.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:48 pm »
Like others here, I also bought the Hitachi CW40 at Lowes, but found it to vibrate way too much.  Took it back, got the Porter Cable replacement, but had the same problem.  Finally bought the DeWalt 788 and couldn't be happier.  Quiet, little vibration, easy blade changes, etc.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

EZgoing

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »
From another forum I belong to, several members had printed out the Grizzly.com page for the Dewalt 788.. and the page showing that Grizzly actually has a retail store..

They took that information to Lowe's customer service desk and asked for their low price guarantee.. 

Several Lowe's stores matched the Grizzly price (as long as they had a retail outlet, of which they have 3), a few of the Lowe's stores beat the price by 10% (believe it depends on the local management policy).. AND it was shipped to the store free due to Lowe's policy of free shipping on orders over $50..

With this, you have a local store to return the saw to IF you want or have to.. and the money goes into your local economy.. and in a few cases, beat the Grizzly price by another 10%..  and get free shipping to top it all off...

I have dealt with Grizzly on several occasions and have always had GREAT service... No issues at all, so don't be afraid to order from them directly if you wish..

Hope this helps some....

Ez

texasgkb

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
Hey thanks everyone! This is just getting better and better. In fact, I'll do the Lowe's thing for the Dewalt here in about 3 to 4 weeks.

SMF

Teknoromi