Author Topic: Question  (Read 8764 times)

PieGuy

Re: Question
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
I've been making what I call name plate puzzles.  They are Steve Good's "Scroll Saw Pattern Printer"  I make the base area thicker and cut out each letter with a puzzle interlock on the bottom of each letter.  Since I've been giving them to my grand kids and other little one's I've been dipping them in Canola Oil.  I'm using 3/4" maple and they come out great.

cornishpisky

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 04:33:18 pm »
I use whatever i have to hand depending on the project of course, i use a lot of softwood, ply and MDF so for the softwood and ply i tend to use Danish Oil, Wood Dye, Wax or Acrylic Varnish again depending on the project, i can get some nice colours mixing a little Wood Dye into the Danish Oil, for MDF i use Acrylic paint and Acrylic Varnish as you really need to hide MDF but it works well for colourful Intasia/Segmentation projects, i also use Glitter for some projects, if i make hardwood Doll House furniture i usually finish them with Acrylic Varnish.

Ian

indiana_jones765

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »
hi all, i use varnish on most everything, but if i have something with alot of fret work, i use spray varnish

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 06:27:05 pm »
Pie Guy,

I've been dipping them in Canola Oil.  I'm using 3/4" maple and they come out great.

I'd be afraid of it turning rancid after a time.  Any problems with that happening?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »
I mainly use a spray lacquer.  It is easy too get (I usually go to Walmart) and I like that it dries so quickly.  I haven't tried the Krylon spray, that you recommended Steve, as of yet.  It is definitly less expensive and I like that.  I appreciate you trying products and sharing with us so we know what is worth getting.

Barry

m_r_dxn

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »
I mostly use Krylon spray poly.  It's cheap, easy, and shiny! :D

keidiag

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
Hi Steve

I recently switched to brush on semi-gloss lacquer. I like this product since it normally only requires 2 coats and no sanding or using steel wool in between coats. I always hated sanding with steel wool because there is always a residue of steel dust that is next to impossible to remove.

Keith

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 03:15:43 am »
Hi Steve
I have so far only used NZ native timbers that I like to finsh with danish oil home made or commercial brand [home made is cheaper] or tung oil diluted with turps. for lighter colored wood I use a aclylic sanding sealer and some times put a danish oil finish on top, the sanding sealer does not darken the wood as does an oil finish,
cheers
Jimbo

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:46 am »
PS
I have also used MDF for puzels which I have painted with acrylic paont and then coated with dainsh oil, this gives it a more durable surface and does not leave brush marks
Jimbo

Denny

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »
Lemon Oil,  Thanks to Steve.     

SMF

Teknoromi