Author Topic: 1/8-VS-1/4 Baltic Birch plywood  (Read 1252 times)

shutterbugdm

1/8-VS-1/4 Baltic Birch plywood
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »
I have been using mostly 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood grade B/BB that I get from Sloan's Woodshop. Running short and getting ready to reorder. Was wondering if you prefer 1/8 over 1/4 for patterns? I have used some 1/8" redwood ply and got alot of chip-outs on top. same for 1/8 baltic birch???

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: 1/8-VS-1/4 Baltic Birch plywood
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »
It depends entirely on what you are making with it.  If you are using it for portrait work - both do well.  I tend to use the 1/4" when it is a particularly large piece for stability.  I use the 1/8" when I stack cut portraits or for portraits that are 11 X 14 or smaller.  I use the 1/8" for backers - the grade doesn't matter for that.  The chip out depends on the blade you use and the quality of the wood.  Any baltic birch ply you get from Sloan's is exceptional quality and you should have very little problem with chip-out.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »
Doing portraits...

I never cut less than a 3/8ths inch stack.

Always use a sheet of 1/8 BB on the bottom as a possible 'throw away' piece to reduce fuzzies and breakouts on the upper part of the stack..if it comes out OK that is a bonus piece for donation

Use FD New Spiral, 2/0 as my blade of choice. Will use a FD Polar #3 for long straight or gentle curved portions

Saw speed is a fast as I can get it to run without tearout and VIBRATION (helps keep the cut edges smoother) I find that the higher speed even helps in the very fine, detailed areas...just be sure you GO SLOWLY...DO NOT force the workpiece into the blade...they are cheap so keep a sharp one in the saw at ALL times!

I have learned the lesson of 'experimentation' and will ALWAYS get my BB from Sloan's in the future UNLESS they CANNOT supply in the size required... then I go to the local Hardwoods supplier and buy a 5 X 5 sheet and cut to size myself (costs me more but I know it is good stuff and all off fall is MINE!)

Virtually all my portraits are cut from 1/8" BB...I like the thinness against the backer (whatever I may use.)

My $.02 for what it is worth!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:05:00 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

shutterbugdm

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »
Appreciate the insight. I just placed an order today with Sloans for both 1/4" and two sheets of 1/8 12x12 (experimentation) today. I also have tried the new
FD-NS spiral that Mike's Workshop is carrying. Used a number 3 and so far it is the best spiral out there. Agree on the speed, if you can go faster the cut is cleaner but really must pay attention. Have not tried any number 2 as yet but think I will in my next order from Mike.

shutterbugdm

FD spiral blades
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »
Graybeard, ref your post 06/01/11 at 3:43pm (Portraits), you said your blade of choice is now the FD-NS 2/0. How does the longevity of the blade use compare to the FD spiral no. 3, or the FD-NS no.3? I recently switched to the NS spirals and what a difference. They cut cleaner and easier to control and thinking of even trying the NS 2/0 on a project.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:06:27 pm »
Truth be known, I do not have any spirals (FD-NS) that are larger than # 2/0!
I ordered them originally from Mike, They work so well for me that I feel no need for further expirimentation. I did pick up some Olson 2/0's that seem to work about the same. But since all my other blades come from Mike, I just keep on ordering a gross at a time as I need replacements.

Virtually all the portrait type patterns that I do have intricate detail sectionds and I see no need to mess with more than the one size.

I do have a full assortment of other types and sizes but MOST of my projects are done with the 2/0's.

Sorry I can't help with advice on the larger sizes....I think Charlie D. uses #3 and #5 on some of his work...

Charlie...are you here? Help the folks out!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
The reason most of us use 2/0 spirals is that the kerf in considerably smaller than the larger blades.  You will get tighter corners and smoother cuts using the smaller blades.  I originally bought 2/0 through #5 spirals and outside of testing the cuts on them, I still have the original blades.  The only ones I have replaced are the 2/0.  In reference to Charlie,  he uses the #3 & #5 because he cuts his stuff rather big.  If you look at his posts,  his dementions are 18X24 or about that size.  I work with a guy who has bought many of charlies pieces and the vast majority of them are at least 20".

shutterbugdm

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »
thanks to all for their views. Guess I need to try the FD 2/0's.

SMF

Teknoromi