Author Topic: 14E Hegner - I broke it  (Read 2513 times)

SD Scroller

14E Hegner - I broke it
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:15 am »
On my 14E hegner scroll saw, the bottom blade clamp bolt broke rendering me scroll sawless.  I am having withdrawls. 
Do i just need to get a tuff bolt for it or a new blade clamp?
Is there anywhere else i can get these?  The bolt is broken off inside the lower saw clamp and i am not sure how to get the other part out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: 14E Hegner - I broke it
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:43:18 am »
advanced machinery has both the screws and clamps. I have a couple of each on hand just in case.

Waddawood

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:46 am »
That's the only down side to Hegner.  Their clamps are around $20 each.  I still can't believe they cost that much.  I've bought many of them through the years for that exact reason...constantly over tightening them and breaking off the screw.  The smaller clamps seem to last longer than (tolerate tightening better than)the larger ones.

wardch

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:07 am »
I have about 5 of the lower one.  3 of the different sizes and 2 others for some reason. 
I just ordered a new tuff wrench.  The wings broke off mine.  It was the old all metal one.
The new one looks a lot heftier.   I was using a little crescent wrench to tighten the bolt.

Chris

kennybruzda

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:00:44 pm »
The Tuff Wrench is great, and you can tighten the lower clamp even tighten, so be careful. According to Hegner, you should only tighten the lower blade clamp 1/12 of a turn, and to make sure it stays you can use a small grinding stone to rough up the end of the blade.
Hope that this info helps.

Thanks
Kenny

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:18 pm »
Hey guys....I happy someone posted about the Hegner Scrollsaw....
Does anyone have problems with the blade breaking directly at the point of where the Quick Blade Change Knob tightening screw makes contact with the blade.  This is the top of the blade.  I have had I'd guess a dozen breakages in the past two weeks.  Sometimes I can cut for say 30 mins. before it breaks and sometimes only mins.  I only use mostly the
FD-UR #3 AND 5 blades.  Any suggestions wud be really helpful.
                            Thanks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

kennybruzda

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »
I have also had the same problem, i called Mike at makes workshop and talked to him about it, and he told me i was the only 1. I stopped using the Ultra Reverse blades and that problem went away.
If you are unhappy with the blades you can always send them back.

Thanks
Kenny

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:19:19 pm »
Hi Kenny....I am so, so happy about you having the same problem as I have been experiencing.  I also contacted Mike and he sent another 4 dozen to make up for my previous order.  Nothing changed.  The breaking still happened....SO....I really had thoughts my Hegner was the problem, but me also used another brand of blade and after cutting with it for I would guess over a hour it is still cutting perfect and no breakage.  Yea!
And I have been using Mikes FD blades for months and swore by them.  Now I am not so sure.  Anyway thank for your input....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

kennybruzda

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:00 pm »
You can still use Mike's blades, instead of using the Ultra Reverse use the Scroll Reverse, then you will have to look at the blade to tell the direction of cut.

Thanks
Kenny

p.s. He did not offer me any blades, you got a deal. I am sure more have complained, and that is why you got what you got.

SD Scroller

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:37:46 am »
Thank you everyone, that sure helps me.  I have to say this is the only disadvantage of my Hegner, i am completely happy with it.  I find that the ultra reverse blade are also breaking at the top so i stopped using them and viola, the problem went away.
I have also been using a blade that is too large, so switching to smaller blades is much simpler for me.

Thank you everyone,

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi