Author Topic: Excalibur vs Dewalt  (Read 5581 times)

Gordo

Excalibur vs Dewalt
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:35 am »
Just wondering how the new Excalibur with the tilting head is rated to the Dewalt?

Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

rwb

Re: Excalibur vs Dewalt
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:21:11 am »
i think the excalibur is much better thats my opinion

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:47 am »
My Dewalt works great for me for I've never used the Excalibur , so it would be hard for me to compare . But I give enough for my saw , if I ever wore out the Dewalt I may sep-up to spend more money and try the so-called better saw ......
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:00:17 am by Marshall »

cherie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
I have never tried or even seen an Excalibur saw, but I have heard nothing but good about it.  The tilting head is in my opinion better than tilting the table.  I think it would be easier on the hands also.  If I up grade again, it would be a toss up between the Hawk and Excalibur.       Just my thoughts.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:00:27 pm »
I own a DeWalt and have tried a Excalibur. I love the tilt feature of the Excalibur. It has the same blade clamps as the Dewalt, and seems to be built to last for many years.
I am a top feeder and love that the upper arm of my Dewalt Lowers the blade into the hole by gravity.
On the Excalibur, the upper arm stays up when you lift it. You have to pull it down to feed the blade. Bottom feeders will like this feature, But I Don't.
On the Dewalt the tension is adjusted with a lever on the front of the upper arm. On the Excalibur, there is a lever on the upper arm to tension the blade, but to adjust the tension, you have to reach to the back of the upper arm and turn a knob. I like the DeWalt system much better.
Money was not an issue when I was looking for a new saw. I gave the Excalibur a good workout, But chose to stay with Dewalt.
Dan In Southern California

Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:03:44 am »
I have a Dewalt. My thinking is that if I was doing a lot of 8 or 10 degree angles than the Excalibur
saw would make sence and the price diff. would be justified.

Dan

Gordo

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:15:42 am »
Thanks for the Feed Back it is appreciated

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:18 am »
I've used both the EX21 and the dewalt.  The tilting head is by far the greatest feature on the excalibur.  I cut a lot of spiral bowls and odd pieces that require the bevel.  It is so much easier to keep on line when your project is still being worked on a level table.  The trick is if the pattern shows to tilt 3.5 degrees to the left and cut counter clockwise, you actually tilt to the right.  My inlay work has become so much better now that I work on a level table.  When you tilt the table is is hard to stay on line and continue to rotate your wood and keep the pressure against the blade all at once. (at least it is for me.)

Curt

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:02 pm »
I have an excalaber 21 inch and LOVE it.  the tilting head is a great feature and the head also lifts so there is no more feeding from under the piece.  just slide the blade through the top of your cut and putting the blade to the bottom is iasy you dont have to look just do it by feel it is so easy...I love my EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi