Author Topic: Delta Scroll Saws.  (Read 2866 times)

gunado

Delta Scroll Saws.
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »
I started scroll sawing about 10 months ago, I tried numerous makes of saws before I settled on a Delta. To my dismay I then found out that they are no longer made. This was very disappointing. After hunting arround I was very lucky to get a machine that was in near new condition from a ex club member.
I have searched Delt/Potercable's web site and they are still making a lot of the machinery that was under the Delta Lable.
So I cannot understand why they stoped making the scroll saw. With its quick release blade system, it has been the easiest to use especially when you are doing 400 plus internatal cuts using no 2 and 2/0 blades.
So my question is Why did they stop making this great scroll saw.

Cheers.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Delta Scroll Saws.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »
I think it was simply a money issue. There saws were popular but compared to the other woodworking equipment I'm sure they were a small part of their sales. Shame.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:17:21 am »
Also, and I don't know the details, I spoke to a tool mechanic and he said most people who work on delta tools don't like dealing with Delta on scrollsaws.  Not sure why.

juvy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:36 am »
I also bought a Delta about 4 years ago... there are 2 of them in our club's workshop and another 8 own by other members. When we found out they quit selling them here I went and hunted one of the last ones down.  It was sold as is.... no warranty... has a bit of a problem with speed... it's lowest speed is the same as the fastest on my first Delta! lol  Not a problem for me tho.

We are starting to have issues with parts.. so far we lucked out.. we have several fitter/turners in the club who can make/modify some, but I worry what will happen if one of them can't fix it.

It is the best saw for the price for sure. We have tried Hegner and find the blade change awkward... maybe if I'd have had one of them first...  I know the up/down motion is better... but what can I say? I'm a big Delta fan.

A couple of years ago I saw what looked like a Delta in different colours... the blue insert was red... said it was Black & Decker... haven't found anything about it on line.. Would love to know if they have taken it over? Would be good to know where to get parts!

Juvy

gunado

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:53:34 am »
Juvy,
I had the same problem with parts until I found Mike's tools in the US. He has supplied me with heaps of pares.
http://www.mikestools.com/Default.aspx
It was even harder to get spares for me Down under in Aust.
I found mike great to deal with.

Cheers

juvy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:22:20 am »
Yes, very hard to find spare parts here in OZ.... so thank you for that web site ... already had a look... nice to find the Delta manual there too.

Did you see the prices for their blades tho? Sheeeesh... glad we've got Helen Harris over here for those :)

Juvy

gunado

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:42:12 am »
http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/mm5/

Glade to be of some help. Try the above web for blades this is where I get mine from.
Cheers

ripchief

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:27 pm »
Delta and Porter-Cable have merged...It looks like the only scroll saw model currently in production is being marketed under the Porter-Cable name (I've seen it at Lowes).

tnscrollsawer

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
try ereplacementparts.com lots of parts and diagrams for alot of diffrent tools

Dustyknees

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10:44 am »
Hi all..I run a Delta myself..Ebay has a number of them,new and used..I've seen them on Craigslist also. If you Google them,you will find lots of parts. Very popular saw and lots of parts are still out there..Jon

juvy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:23:36 am »
Problem is we're in Australia........ shipping would be a killer.... and then we'd have to use a transformer as we are on 220 Volts.
So that's not really an option

SMF

Teknoromi