Author Topic: Kinked Blades  (Read 961 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Kinked Blades
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:06:21 am »
 have an older (2009) Excalibur EX-21, in green, purchased used and well used. The chucks were replaced with the Pegas chuck set. Great improvement! The original lower chuck was done, so the upgrade was required, not just purchased as an upgrade.

When using small blades such as Pegas Modified Geometry 2/0R, the end of the blade in the lower chuck is getting bent, or kinked. Does not effect the cutting, but makes it difficult to feed the blade through small holes. I tend to use a #71 bit for these blades, and most of my cutting lately have required the use of such a small blade.

Yes, I am a top feeder!

Attached is a closeup of the ends of the blades.  I hope iti is clear, the limit of 128kb per image seems very low.

I have not seen a similar kink when using heavier blades, such as #5.

Anyone else run into this? Any idea why the lower chuck is bending the blades like this?
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Kinked Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:58 pm »
Looks like your blade holder needs to be adjusted but I’m not familiar with pegas holders

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 02:47:13 pm »
The lower holder for my Jet saw was kinking the blades (well, 2 out of the 3 it came with).  One side is the knob you turn.  I used a small Allen wrench to drive the screw on the other side just a tiny bit deeper so the end was flush with the holder itself.  Now the blades don't get kinked.

As tbolt said, check your holder to see if you can make a similar adjustment.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 07:20:18 am »
The lower holder for my Jet saw was kinking the blades (well, 2 out of the 3 it came with).  One side is the knob you turn.  I used a small Allen wrench to drive the screw on the other side just a tiny bit deeper so the end was flush with the holder itself.  Now the blades don't get kinked.
Interesting!  I just adjusted the lower chuck, but have not done any further sawing to see the difference.

Flush with the chuck?  I can do that.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:50 pm »
I am not an expert but could it be that your not inserting the blade all the way to the back of the chuck, small blades do hockey stick easier than say #3, Keep us posted because you will figure it out

SMF

Teknoromi